BTA acclimation ?s

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2017
Messages
9,271
Reaction score
33,278
Location
South Carolina
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a bubble tip this week and I have a few questions about acclimation. I've read several different methods. Some say do this others say don't do this. So I'd like to get it straight and have the best chance for success.

When the BTA arrives I will not be home, but my fiancée will. All procedures must be simplified, not for my understanding so much, but I'll have to simplify them for her. I'm thinking of having her just float it in the sump away from any lights so it doesn't get burnt up sitting in the top of the tank right under my LEDs, and then I can drip it when I get home. I've also ready that dripping is bad and can cause ammonia somehow even if I have none in my tank. I've always drip acclimated fish and inverts. Do I need to dip the anemone? I lost a fish in my nano recently(BTA is going into my 75g) to velvet from an undipped coral and I'm really leery of disease getting into my systems again.
 
I float em for 20 mins, then drip acclimate for 45 mins. BTAs are really tough. Don't tell anyone, but I've transferred nems between my tanks at home successfully with no acclimation time. Although I do not recommend that approach, I wanted to give an example of how tough these nems are.
 
Cool. I'll probably get her to float it in the sump with the fuge light off then I'll put it in the tank when I get home from work. She likes the corals and the fish and its all pretty, but she doesn't get into the technical or the getting your hands wet parts.
 
I float 20 min, check salinity from whence it came, and if its close, drop it in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new