BTA extreme deflation, can’t keep it happy

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef but I can’t seem to keep RBTAs happy. I keep RFAs and maxi minis no problem.
The first BTA deflated, shriveled and died. I’ve had a green one from AquaSD for a couple of months and bought a second wild rainbow a month ago.
I’m attaching a picture of my rainbow nem inflated. This lasts less than 24h and then it crawls into a crevice and remains deflated and tiny for several days. Picture seems bleached but it’s not (lights were off) it’s only lost a tad of color. The green one won’t ever fully extend either. Best case scenario the oral disk is open but the tentacles are tiny. Feeding reef roids or frozen mix just seems to stress them more.
My LPS and some easy SPS are generally doing well. I’m thinking of dosing my tank with Cipro.

Parameters:
Temperature 77.5-79.5
pH 7.9-8
Salinity 1.025-1.026
Alkalinity 8.5-9 - stable through Alkatronic
Calcium 500+
Magnesium 1400+
Nitrate 5-7
Phosphate .05 - used to hover at .15, recently installed a lanthanum reactor

PAR used to be about 120-150 where the nem sits. I’ve since increased it substantially but I have to measure again. My guess is 180+, possibly 200+

80D851D1-FA9F-45A2-B569-1B115F262E94.jpeg

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it probably needs much more light to stay happy.
What would be the lowest PAR you’d personally have them under? I know reefers that kept them under 150 so I figured it’d be good.
I also guessed it would stretch for light rather than deflate but I’m new to BTAs and their behavior - maybe it’s constantly expelling dead zooanxellae (sp). It’s only lost a bit of color for now, looking far from bleached

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the lowest PAR you’d personally have them under? I know reefers that kept them under 150 so I figured it’d be good.
I also guessed it would stretch for light rather than deflate but I’m new to BTAs and their behavior - maybe it’s constantly expelling dead zooanxellae (sp). It’s only lost a bit of color for now, looking far from bleached
Bottom of my tank is ~250, the bubble tip I have reaches up the the top of the tank where it's 500-700. By reaches, It's attached to the bottom, and extends up ~ 18" to near the water surface in the back corner of the tank. Basketball sized?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back