Does my BTA have an infection or is it slowly dying from trauma?

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my BTA got sucked up in my base filter over night and I didnt find it till the morning. I immediately took it out and it attached itself to its current spot. It seemed fine for awhile until a week ago. It seems to be losing tentacles imo and during the time my lights go out on my tank it has been getting abnormaly small and very deflated in the tentacles. During the day it stays as pictured for the most part.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated so I can take action or so on and so forth.

Thanks guys,

The fishermen

IMG_5632.jpeg

OP
OP
friendlyfisherman

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look too bad
You will just need to keep an eye on it
At night it shrinks to the size of a grape. Is it sick or is that due to the trauma? I’m trying to figure out if a second tank with treatment will help or if it’s a lost cause because you can’t treat trauma.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it be and keep an eye on it
Bad signs are not attaching to surfaces
Mouth wide open for long periods
Bta anemones are quite hardy give it some time. They do shrivel up when lights out if it opens up during the day fully that’s a good sign

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it after being injured it will take a few weeks to recover. Given good parameters, BTAs usually fully recover after filter/powerhead run-ins, even severe ones where major damage is incurred. I would just try to keep the conditions tip-top and give it time. I'd probably feed it small (pea size) pieces of fresh shrimp, krill, squid, clam, etc. two or three times per week. The extra protein might help with recovery. It looks a lot better than many BTAs after encountering filtration equipment.

OP
OP
friendlyfisherman

friendlyfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it after being injured it will take a few weeks to recover. Given good parameters, BTAs usually fully recover after filter/powerhead run-ins, even severe ones where major damage is incurred. I would just try to keep the conditions tip-top and give it time. I'd probably feed it small (pea size) pieces of fresh shrimp, krill, squid, clam, etc. two or three times per week. The extra protein might help with recovery. It looks a lot better than many BTAs after encountering filtration equipment.
Thanks for the insight Garygb! I’ll definitely give it doses of protein. Makes sense For sure.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when an anemone floats around and gets in a power head it is no happy for some reason. Low alkalinity is one reason in my experiance. What are your tank parameters?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back