BTA ate a dead fish

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys I need help with something

My Mamdarin died overnight and I have no idea why it died, I come in the morning finding all dead on a rock structure. I immediately get the the tweezers to get it out to examine. But guess today was a ****** day for me, as half way up I dropped into my BTA, which grabbed and ate it, I couldn't even retrieve the fish from its tentacles (do note its a huge BTA).

The only thing which I discovered while lifting the fish out was white flakes coming out from it, almost like say giant dandruff particles.

Any one has any idea what was that? Ans/or would be anemone be alright?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that you lost your mandarin. It's very normal for an anemone to eat a dead fish. The anemone will be fine, and depending on the size of the fish, you could see a growth spurt or even splitting from it soon. I had a RFA eat a cleaner shrimp, it doubled in the following month.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that you lost your mandarin. It's very normal for an anemone to eat a dead fish. The anemone will be fine, and depending on the size of the fish, you could see a growth spurt or even splitting from it soon. I had a RFA eat a cleaner shrimp, it doubled in the following month.
That's actually relieving. If the fish was diseased does it impact BTA health?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss of the fish but it never went to waste I’ve never seen a bta take a healthy fish but sick or slow the nem will yum yum thank you. This is only my observation from my bta

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times dead fish in our tank died of infection and full of bacterial. Don't feed anemone dead fish from the tank, or it may get infected and died. If something is smelly, it is full of rotting tissue due to bacterial breaking down the tissue, which is what dead fish or food the tank is after a few hours. My firsthand experience of killing a beautiful healthy Magnifica below.

Now I don't feed my anemone anything that I feel it is not safe for me to eat. I was not this way when I first taken care of anemones. I lost beautiful established Magnifica a long time ago, when it was almost considered it in impossible to keep Gigantea and Magnifica anemones. What I did back then was feeding my tank with frozen oysters. I dropped a frozen oyster into the tank in AM on some of the days. As the day progressed the oyster opened when it thawed our and the fish would finish it. That afternoon, I got home, they fish have not finished the oyster, so I took it out, removed the flesh and feed it to my Magnifica. My healthy Magnifica started to go into deflated/inflated cycle of death that day and die within a few days.

Bad food = dead anemone. Dead fish in the tank is bad food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back