BTA health issue/s

Angus1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble tip anenome is not a happy camper and I am not sure if I can help them out. Consistently hiding under a rock, deflated, not eating, looking floppy. Thoughts or advice is most welcome. See photos for current condition.

See story below but it possibly split (cannot confirm) but does seem to have a wound / healing area on its side. Mouth is sometimes opened as shown in pictures to expel waste, not spot eating though.

Background:
I had to leave my state for a month and had someone else who does not do aquariums look after my tank. I had daily updates over telephone but not any pictures.

About two weeks in they said my Anenome had split (unconfirmed as I never found a second half) and then the one she could find took a nose dive. Went from being in the same spot for the past six months to tumbling around the tank and hiding. I can see an area on the side where it may have split but without another half I question this.

I got home last Friday night and went into Defcon 1 as the tank was COVERED in cyanobacteria, three trochus had died, two turbo and a cowrie. My few zoa's, GSP and blue sympodium were all withdrawn. My hawkfish was a pale red / white on its belly and my two clowns were a pale white on their mouths. My royal gramma was doing okay but hiding. My stromb seemed fine but maybe a bit lethargic. My scooter dragonette died as well but he had been starving himself since before we left.

I had dosed treatments for bubble algae and also bryopsis consecutively prior to leaving. I had her put activated carbon in for a week to remove medication alongside normal water changes. Both successfully removed. I understand this will have knocked about all my good algae and bacterial as well likely causing the cyano bloom which was left untreated and allowed to flourish. This I believe caused most of my inverts to die and obviously make corals unhappy.

Since returning I have done several water changes, checked parameters, replaced carbon, continually scrubbed rock and sand to frustrate cyano blooms, waited a week to get new CUC and only put them in today to help bring down cyano.

Water parameters were all recorded and were not an issue with Nitrates being a little high upon my return.

Tank is a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25. Been up and running since March this year. Light is a Noopsyche K7 mini and has been since March.

LFS reckon sometimes the green anenome more often than red just commit suicide.

Photos under blue light are from this evening on side of rock with the photo under white light from the night before under rock.

Thanks in advance, long time lurker.

PXL_20231012_074605775.MP.jpg PXL_20231012_085324695.MP.jpg PXL_20231011_203237815.jpg PXL_20231012_085756117.MP.jpg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings long time lurker,

The anemone likely suffered as the tank went into nutrient overdrive and disrepair while you were away. Now that you are on top of that it may recover without further intervention.

The anemone's foot is really well planted, which is good but by it's open mouth and short tentacles I am thinking that it likely has a bacterial infection. If you have the ability/interest, set up a small QT with a floating basket. Treat the anemone with antibiotics (ciprofloxacin). You will need to do your own research to determine dosing.

The lighting...I'm not familiar with this light, but is it adequate for the corals and anemone? Consider testing with a PAR meter.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
A

Angus1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings long time lurker,

The anemone likely suffered as the tank went into nutrient overdrive and disrepair while you were away. Now that you are on top of that it may recover without further intervention.

The anemone's foot is really well planted, which is good but by it's open mouth and short tentacles I am thinking that it likely has a bacterial infection. If you have the ability/interest, set up a small QT with a floating basket. Treat the anemone with antibiotics (ciprofloxacin). You will need to do your own research to determine dosing.

The lighting...I'm not familiar with this light, but is it adequate for the corals and anemone? Consider testing with a PAR meter.

Best of luck.
Hey mate,

Similar thoughts to what I had in terms of there being an infection. Given it moved out from under the rocks last night, I will give it another week for signs of improvement.

Thanks for the idea about cipro treatment. Hadn't heard or seen that and having done some quick reading I think that will be the next step without any further recovery. Seems straight forward with mostly good results.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back