Will a dead bta completely detach from rock? Also coloration questions

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was extremely pale for the first few days and split last night. This morning I have noticed some slight coloration returning, but I'm worried it may just be a corpse glued to a rock

So that leaves me with a few questions

A. How fast will I notice the rotting smell? How strong for a relatively small nem? I check it every few hours but nothing new

B. Can a dead nem stay attached to a rock even under very heavy flow? (Not constant but to check)

C. What color will it turn if it is dead? Brown? Grey? Black? Orange is a wee bit brownish especially when dark

I could try blowing on it with a pipette and see if it's maybe just stuck in a low flow crevice but it flaps around in the flow quite a bit when I turn the powerhead on

I'll be at work for the next while so I'll post an update when I get off

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never noticed a smell until I pulled it from the water… err power head. As for colour it will be a pale gray and detached. If you are worried it might die, but not to the point of removing it, I would proactively add a bag of carbon just in case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never noticed a smell until I pulled it from the water… err power head. As for colour it will be a pale gray and detached. If you are worried it might die, but not to the point of removing it, I would proactively add a bag of carbon just in case.
It's so small that I'm fairly sure my macroalgae will buffer the ammonia long enough for me to catch it. Been doing twice daily testing for a bit but the API tests are only good for detecting spikes

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The split is a very stressful event.
Sometimes daughters recover, sometimes they fade.
I’d do nothing but let them settle.
Could be weeks, depending on the split.

If they do not stick, or reattach in still waters, that’s foot damage and generally fatal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The split is a very stressful event.
Sometimes daughters recover, sometimes they fade.
I’d do nothing but let them settle.
Could be weeks, depending on the split.

If they do not stick, or reattach in still waters, that’s foot damage and generally fatal.
For context, the split was not reproductive but due a laceration near the mouth of the nem.

Also it has settled tip side on the rock, wedged in a crack that looks like ">" but wider. Which makes it really hard to tell what is going on with it.

It may have been a foot injury but I initially saw the damaged tissue attached near its mouth.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you glue it? oTherwise, it is holding on using energy to do so, so its alive.

I ripped a bubble tip about 2 months ago. It looked half dead for a month, split, and now I have two that look rough many days but are hanging in there and I anticipate they will be ok and looking spiffy fairly soon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you glue it? oTherwise, it is holding on using energy to do so, so its alive.

I ripped a bubble tip about 2 months ago. It looked half dead for a month, split, and now I have two that look rough many days but are hanging in there and I anticipate they will be ok and looking spiffy fairly soon.
Nope. When I initially dropped it in it rolled under my rock and I think I scratched it with my nails reaching for it blind. Once I got him back up he moved across the rock over 20min and hasn't moved since

Also I noticed a tiny piece of the nem floated nearby and landed on my rock and has not moved, even under flow.

It is probably 2-3mm in size, and way too small for me to tell but has anyone ever have tiny fragments grow into heads?

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. When I initially dropped it in it rolled under my rock and I think I scratched it with my nails reaching for it blind. Once I got him back up he moved across the rock over 20min and hasn't moved since

Also I noticed a tiny piece of the nem floated nearby and landed on my rock and has not moved, even under flow.

It is probably 2-3mm in size, and way too small for me to tell but has anyone ever have tiny fragments grow into heads?
Mine loose tentacles and they never have survived but mushrooms divide at their foot and those will make new clones, similar thing happens with zoas but I wouldn't expect it to live.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loose tentacles and they never have survived but mushrooms divide at their foot and those will make new clones, similar thing happens with zoas but I wouldn't expect it to live.
The way it split was what concerned me the most. It looked like it almost unrolled itself horizontally (not turning inside out) along the oral disc. It may be a bit morbid but it reminded me of a can of biscuits.

While I will be sad if i lose this nem honestly having the chance to closely observe its internal biology while still submerged is awesome

Is it plausible that a chunk of oral tissue may have managed to anchor itself? How large does a nem piece have to be before it is capable of independent growth?

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, the split was not reproductive but due a laceration near the mouth of the nem.

Also it has settled tip side on the rock, wedged in a crack that looks like ">" but wider. Which makes it really hard to tell what is going on with it.

It may have been a foot injury but I initially saw the damaged tissue attached near its mouth.
How did that happen. Lacerated on purpose or accidental?
To my knowledge to get two, we need, two mouths, a bit like Ricordia, a piece I can’t see surviving.

When stuck, they’re fine. They can unattach and float to another spot but would reattach quickly.

I don’t give on them until they start to fall apart, then I discard.

They are super resilient so hopes are for recovery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did that happen. Lacerated on purpose or accidental?
To my knowledge to get two, we need, two mouths, a bit like Ricordia, a piece I can’t see surviving.

When stuck, they’re fine. They can unattach and float to another spot but would reattach quickly.

I don’t give on them until they start to fall apart, then I discard.

They are super resilient so hopes are for recovery.
On accident, when I first put him on my rock he got swept off and stuck between the rock and glass so I moved him back onto a different rock with less flow.

May have been the rock that did the damage, couldve been my fingers when trying to get it out, may have even been stressed livestock taking a nip at it (doubt it)

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On accident, when I first put him on my rock he got swept off and stuck between the rock and glass so I moved him back onto a different rock with less flow.

May have been the rock that did the damage, couldve been my fingers when trying to get it out, may have even been stressed livestock taking a nip at it (doubt it)
I would think that type of damage would repair.
I’ve sucked them up filters for hours and they still bounced back.

Maybe a pic of the nem and DT would help to assess what damage were talking about. IMG_1626.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that type of damage would repair.
I’ve sucked them up filters for hours and they still bounced back.

Maybe a pic of the nem and DT would help to assess what damage were talking about. IMG_1626.jpeg
I will try to get a decent picture when I get home but the lights may be out by the time I get off work.

This morning it was mostly finished but the damaged portion was still hanging on, hard to tell if it was mucus or still attached.

Would assisting if it is stuck improve chances of it making it? Or should I leave it to do its own thing until it comes off on its own?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ended up dying sadly, may have been dead for a bit

It was melted onto the rock AND the sand
The "coloration" was zoox fluid

Upsetting but no one to blame other than myself

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ended up dying sadly, may have been dead for a bit

It was melted onto the rock AND the sand
The "coloration" was zoox fluid

Upsetting but 100% my fault

Hopefully LFS will give me a discount on the next one in a few months...

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back