Add or not a BTA?

Dipi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have a 11,5 gallon tank with some coral and 2x ocellaris, YWG, Gramma brasiliensis and a peppermint shrimp. My clowns do not venture too far from their corner of the tank and I want to add a BTA in their corner to host them. My main concern is it moving around and damaging my coral. So the question is, how strong they are at stinging, are they capable of killing the coral? I'm willing to take the risk if it is something harmfull but not deadly. I'm also planning to add a small rock with a proper housing for its foot in order to reduce the chances of it disliking the spot I want it. The corner is in the sandbed with moderate flow and pretty decent light.

I'm also fine if it moves and chooses a different spot as long as it doesn't kill the coral on its way.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

20240203_184000.jpg

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t do it. Getting them to stay where you want them can be challenging. More than likely their favorite spot will be exactly where your favorite coral is and they will kill it. They also can get large and cover a wide area. In a small tank that means touching almost everything.

I started with one and now have 10+ from them splitting. No room in my 40 gallon on the rocks for coral.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added-was fine for a day then spent a week moving and terrorizing tank

Then settled then started splitting, one fot sucked i to gyre

Was a nightmare for me

As much as id love one determined if wanted to go after corals i just couldnt

Maybe if they started and then buikt corals around them would have been better luck

OP
OP
Dipi

Dipi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added-was fine for a day then spent a week moving and terrorizing tank

Then settled then started splitting, one fot sucked i to gyre

Was a nightmare for me

As much as id love one determined if wanted to go after corals i just couldnt

Maybe if they started and then buikt corals around them would have been better luck
It must have been really stressfull. I definetly do not want to go through that. I guess I'm already reconsidering lol. Thanks for your advice

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been friendly so far... but only been a few days... and I have it in a 150gallon. I too have gone through the mental worries though. Really cool to look at but terrifying to think about what could happen lol

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
don't. and this comes from someone who has a BTA. they will move, and when they want to. i plan on keeping mine in an acclimation box once i move tanks. it killed lots of frags when it decided to roam. and of course every time it was while i was at work so i couldn't save the frags.

if you're keeping it in a box, sure. otherwise don't.

just my 2c.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two btas in my 125. Wish i had 0 honestly. Thing has killed too many frags. The only reason theyre not gone is my clownfish hosts them both and id feel bad lol

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern would be if there is enough light in that corner. If you prep a rock for them they tend to stay put assuming there is enough light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back