Is this BTA healthy?

road102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have this BTA for about a month, she is eating raw shrimp or raw fish without any problems, moving a bit from time to time. Color is not going away and I believe is having more color after a month.

Today, after moving and having straight view of her mouth,
IMG_8807.jpeg
I noticed that her mouth was half-open, when feeding she grabs the food and closes the mouth but then it gets half open again. (When I bought it I didn’t check this)

I’ve seen some post about open mouth and unhealthy anemones.

What do you think? Is this normal? If not, any recommendations?

Maybe not recognizing the clown fish and trying to eat it?

Thanks IMG_8810.jpeg

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine I would either stop feeding or just use small pieces like krill it could also be flushing itself with fresh water. Anemones....... They keep you on your toes until they settle. My bta literally hangs from the rock like an empty bin bag at night ... Next morning fully open

OP
OP
road102

road102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mine look that way before. How often are you feeding? IMO bubble tips need light more than food and over feeding is not good for them. My nems get 300-350 par and thrive. I haven't target fed them in years.
Hello, twice a week. I don’t have a par meter but
I've seen mine look that way before. How often are you feeding? IMO bubble tips need light more than food and over feeding is not good for them. My nems get 300-350 par and thrive. I haven't target fed them in years.
Hello, I’ve been feeding with small pieces of raw shrimp twice a week, I don’t have a PAR meter but I estimate 250 according to the specs

Attachments

• IMG_8814.png
    IMG_8814.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 38

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, twice a week. I don’t have a par meter but

Hello, I’ve been feeding with small pieces of raw shrimp twice a week, I don’t have a PAR meter but I estimate 250 according to the specs
It's hard to estimate par without a meter but if the nem is getting 250 that should be fine. I don't think feeding twice a week is excessive. I found out early on that feeding mine for whatever reason encouraged them to split. At one point I went from 3 nems to 48. This was a 180g tank. My nems have not split in a few years and I have not fed durring that time. The fact that they aren't splitting could very well be tank maturity also but that's all just speculation on my part. Mine like a little dirty water also. Today's testing is PO4 0.9 and NO3 10.2. Just mentioning that as a reference.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, your nem's mouth is "slightly open", not "gaping" and is nothing I'd worry about. Stop target feeding it for a while and see if it looks different. Nems inflate different parts of their bodies on a regular basis...
Examples of gaping mouths:

Screenshot_20240225-150354.png
Screenshot_20240225-150501.png

OP
OP
road102

road102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to estimate par without a meter but if the nem is getting 250 that should be fine. I don't think feeding twice a week is excessive. I found out early on that feeding mine for whatever reason encouraged them to split. At one point I went from 3 nems to 48. This was a 180g tank. My nems have not split in a few years and I have not fed durring that time. The fact that they aren't splitting could very well be tank maturity also but that's all just speculation on my part. Mine like a little dirty water also. Today's testing is PO4 0.9 and NO3 10.2. Just mentioning that as a reference.
Thanks, after adding a refugium into my sump about a year ago, my PO4 and NO3 levels went down to almost zero. I tried several times to increase feeding but in my tank that only rises ammonia. I tested with different testing brands and nothing, always near zero. …hope this won’t kill the anemone…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, after adding a refugium into my sump about a year ago, my PO4 and NO3 levels went down to almost zero. I tried several times to increase feeding but in my tank that only rises ammonia. I tested with different testing brands and nothing, always near zero. …hope this won’t kill the anemone…
Take the fuge offline

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mine died about a week ago
I tried everything to save this nem. Something is just not right for nems in my tank which btw thrives with “non-nem life”.
Sorry to hear this. I think we all have (or will) come across a critter or coral that just doesn't do well in our tank, despite how easy it may be for others to keep. Consider it a chance to find something new and exciting to take its place :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mine died about a week ago
I tried everything to save this nem. Something is just not right for nems in my tank which btw thrives with “non-nem life”.
Try to raise nutrients, specifically po4 to 0.1ppm.
Reef roids will help raise it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back