Anemone identification

Texas_Reefer07

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Ritteri Anemone off LA (Live Aquaria) last Friday. It came in the bag super healthy looking; tight/closed mouth, inflated, and sticky foot/tentacles. After acclamation, I put it on top of my flat pinnacle rock right under the light (which I designed specifically for a magnificent anemone). I dimmed the lights for acclamation and turned off my powerheads, so there was no chance of him getting sucked up into them. After 30 minutes, I came back to see him midway down my rock structure tucked under an overhang, with his foot stretching deep into a crevice. This surprised me since Ritteri anemones love the flat high points of the reef. The next day after he eventually got situated, I gave him a piece of silverside the size of his mouth, and he grabbed it and completely closed up. After 5 min, he opened completely back up, but his tentacles were bubbled, like that of a BTA. I’m wondering if LA maybe mixed up anemones, and sent me a White-tip BTA instead, since my anemone looks similar to that of. The characteristics of it matches that of a BTA and he looks like he could be a white-tip BTA based on photos I’ve seen on line.

This is him before feeding:

IMG_0267.jpeg


This is him after eating:

IMG_0265.png
 
rhitteris dont bubble, its very unlikely. Most likely they gave you a BTA
 
This is the Anemone 6 months from when I first got it.. I honestly can’t say what this anemone is. It’s changed its appearance multiple times now, to where I can fully say what this is. It hasn’t bubbled its tips since those first pictures I took, 6 months ago.. anyone have any ideas?



IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new