BTA HELP PLEASE!!!

H.garza10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of my BTA have gone from beautiful colors And having full bubble tips to sad looking brown pucks in a matter of 30 days. They are constantly leaving brown rings wherever they stay and realeasing slime almost all day. My tank is a 40b with a 20g sump. I’m running GFO, and Carbon. I was dosing All for Reef but quit because it caused my ALK to raise to about 13. The 2 rainbows were barely introduced to my tank August 24, and before that my other BTA had been in there 4 months with no issues and full coloration. So I recently did a 5 gallon water change (the BTA were already the way they look before the water change) to start the slow transition of switching to Fritz from Reef crystals. I’m switching because of the high ALK that comes with Reef Crystals. I also just started running GFO, my phosphates were around 0.45 before I started but none of my coral were ever visibly upset so I would only monitor it and make sure it wouldn’t rise (again the BTA already looked like crap before the GFO also). I’m just looking for any type of answers to get my nems back to themselves. Please help!

pics are before and after
A5BD01A8-6BE5-4327-8E0A-C3FBB9AC2FCC.jpeg
0ADEF2AA-819B-4EFF-BE79-F506F06FE1E7.jpeg
E72352CC-5A4F-4048-B6E1-5D91811F6ECA.jpeg

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
They may have a bacterial infection. Have they been going through cycles of inflacting & deflating?
Check out this sticky; Im currently in the process of treating a H. mag.

OP
OP
H.garza10

H.garza10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no cycles of deflating that I’ve really noticed. Just a lot of moving around the rock work.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the tank started in January?? Might not be mature enough yet to sustain nems. They like a biologically stable environment.
20190115_154525.jpg

OP
OP
H.garza10

H.garza10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the tank started in January?? Might not be mature enough yet to sustain nems. They like a biologically stable environment.
20190115_154525.jpg
This tank is coming up on a year. But I’ve had my first Nem in there since June with no issues. Then I purchased some rainbow anemones (pictures) and after about 1 months they all went south and look exactly the same. Brown and deflated.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is coming up on a year. But I’ve had my first Nem in there since June with no issues. Then I purchased some rainbow anemones (pictures) and after about 1 months they all went south and look exactly the same. Brown and deflated.
Ok if we think we the tank is mature enough let's get your current parameters including lighting and schedule as well as a fts and see if we can find the issue.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing nems is never good pick one bubble tip you absolutely want then get ride of the rest they are fighting each other chemically. If you want a high end nem then start with that and let it split never mix other nems in they will kill each other ask me how I know I have lost thousands in nems from mixing before I straightened up and stuck to one

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, dont mix bubble tips!! I’ve got a black widow and a RBTA in a tank together and for now they’re okay, but the black widow is visibly shrunken and upset. In a different tank I’ve got a CSB and a RBTA and I’m taking the RBTA out tomorrow, the CSB is shrunken and hiding in the dark, it didn’t do that before the RBTA was introduced. Separate the nems and they should perk up

Callieach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could have a bacterial infection. And this could be caused from chemical warfare between the anemones or from any swings in your tank parameters.

Anemones need stable parameters. If your alkalinity/PH, etc is fluctuating, it could Weaken their immune system and cause a bacterial infection as well depending on the severity.

We have 1 green bubble tip, 1 rainbow bubble tip, 2 ultra rainbow bubble tips, 1 purple Haitian anemone, 2 rock flower anemones, and 1 mint green long tentacle anemone in our 75 gallon. Everyone has settled in to their own spaces throughout the tank with plenty of territory room between them. Haven’t had issues with chem warfare, but we might have just gotten lucky with ours. Mixing nems isn’t considered a good idea, but it can be done.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
H.garza10

H.garza10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying if I remove the RBTA the BW will slowly return to its state?

OP
OP
H.garza10

H.garza10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, dont mix bubble tips!! I’ve got a black widow and a RBTA in a tank together and for now they’re okay, but the black widow is visibly shrunken and upset. In a different tank I’ve got a CSB and a RBTA and I’m taking the RBTA out tomorrow, the CSB is shrunken and hiding in the dark, it didn’t do that before the RBTA was introduced. Separate the nems and they should perk up
So your saying if I remove the RBTA the BW will slowly return to its state?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing nems is never good pick one bubble tip you absolutely want then get ride of the rest they are fighting each other chemically. If you want a high end nem then start with that and let it split never mix other nems in they will kill each other ask me how I know I have lost thousands in nems from mixing before I straightened up and stuck to one

This. I went to LFS and was told RBTA and GBTA play together fine so I bought him since it was so cheap. I took GBTA and put him in the tank and within hours the RBTA was really ticked off and deflated. I took the GBTA out and he healed back up within 24 hours.

Last edited:

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nems I’ve heard are extremely good at sensing slight changes in the water. The nem will know there’s another in there even if they are on opposite sides of the tank. Just what I’ve been told but have no anecdotal evidence so take that for what it is

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back