BTA Lighting Questions

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a custom clown breeding tank (48x14x14) shipping to me soon. its divided into 4 separate sections. i want each pair to have a bubble tip for extra security and i was wondering what is the minimum lighting i can go on the tank. i know bubble tips can have as little as PC light but i want T5 on my tank.
I was thinking i could possibly get away with a 2 bulb 48 T5 hood with 2 good PAR bulbs like ATI. the nems will be on a rock and i would assume the tank depth of only 14" i figure i would only have to light it down to 10" and i could do the dual bulb.
i could also go with a 4 bulb no problem. but i want to keep things at a minimum.
I know 4 bulbs would be better, but i would like to see if 2 will suffice.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I've heard some back and forth on how much light an anemone needs. Some people say as long as you feed it, it doesn't need as much light. If it were my tank and I was going to do a tank like this, I would personally go for the extra lighting just to be on the safer side. Besides the price difference between 2 and 4 bulb probably doesn't justify risking the lives ($$$) of several anemones and possibly a full tank crash ($$$) when they kick the bucket. Just like everything else in the reefing world, if you cut corners it'll bite you in the end. Once again though, I am no expert nor do I completely understand the preferences of BTA when it comes to lighting.

Last edited:

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 RBTA and they can take a lot of light i've had them under 250 MH T5 and 150 MH and one of them is under right now a 150 MH very old put's about 60 par down on it.it's just fine they don't like heavy water flow very slow is best just a slow wave they will love you.

OP
OP
Ericm1205

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have raised many bta's in my 24g hqi nano and in my frag tank with dual 150MH. i even nursed a bleached carpet back to green. i know they can handle alot of light and mine did like low flow as well.
there isnt gonna be much flow in each chamber but i was wondering if i could get away with a dual T5 fixture that is only 14" deep.

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say for sure like i said one of mine right now is under a 150 old MH and the par is about 60 and that is not much light at alll now i cant say it look's real good but it been there for 8 month's and is fine just not a big color pop in it any more

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the more light they have, the happier they are. That's not say they wouldn't do great under 2 T5's in a 14" deep tank. You could do two high-par bulbs like ATI Blue+.

Also agree that they are not fond of flow ... mind hide on the other side of the rocks from my MP40's.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back