BTA Questions

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Bubble Tip Anemone and have had it in my tank for almost a month. Yesterday it moved to a new spot and appears to be absorbing its tentacles. I am pretty new to this hobby and was wondering if this is normal or if this is something to be concerned about. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached two photos the first shows what it looks like now and the second is what it looked like when I bought the BTA.

20210725_210439.jpg 20210703_191856.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally when they move, it’s stressed due to either too much light, water flow or both
High salinity or temperature can also weigh in

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BTA does seem restless. It keeps moving from spot to spot every day or two. So maybe too much waterflow or light. The tanks temperature stays pretty much at 80 and the salinity is maintained at about 1.025.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked pretty colorless when you first got it. Not sure it was ever healthy as it appears to have lost zooxanthellae. Does it eat?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anemone is definitely not doing great and bleaching. BTAs need stable tanks that come after about 9 months of maturity. This tank appears very new with the white rocks so im suspecting its a new tank, just keep parameters stable. If it doesnt like the light or flow it will usually move itself to find a new spot.
What are the tank parameters
salinity, alkalinity, nitrate, phosphate, magnesium?
Are you using rodi water?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s starving , having no zooxanth and bleach coloration. Stable parameters and feeding will bring the anemone back , I would recommend to feed reef roids to anemone to regain some zooxanth

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just checked the build thread, the tank is only 3 months old also the light isnt strong enough to keep anemones in that size tank. you probably want to upgrade that light, the seaclone skimmer also idsnt going to do much skimming but at least will add extra O2 to the water, i owned the skimmer as well and it went into the garbage like 16 years ago.

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the advice. I have not gotten it to eat much. But I can try the reef roids to see if it will eat better. The tank is new, three months old but the parameters have been very stable.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BTA is going to struggle for a while since your tank is relatively new, even if the parameters appear to be stable.

I haven't checked your build thread. Are you using a sump? Is there a place to add chaetomorpha? My anemones do better in tanks with chaeto since it helps keep parameters in check.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Postings your param would be helpful and looking at your photos doesn’t look like bacteria has established on the rock.
Moreover parameters over the course of a couple of weeks will help. I agree that the tank "looks" new. I would expect to see algae on the rocks.

I typically tell people that once they see coralline algae in their tanks, then it's a good time to consider adding an anemone. Coralline is oftentimes the last type of algae to grow, and it likes consistent parameters, so if you're adept at doing so, you can just look at the condition of the coralline and not have to test your tank.

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank does not have a sump. Using a canister filter. I have algae starting to grow over my sand and some starting to grow on the rocks. I will post the tank parameters once I get home to test them later today. I guess my real question here is the BTA a goner or can it be saved. I bought some reef rods today and also some Phyto Feast for a new pulsing xenia that I purchased a couple days ago.

I was reading about zooxanthellae transplant for an anemone. is this something that I might have to try to do to save the Nem.

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current margins.
Salinity 1.025
Ph. 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. 0ppm
Phosphate. 0.50ppm
Calcium. 340ppm. This has dropped the last couple days. Was about 450 ppm
Kh is over 214.8 as the test is off the chart.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate way to low.
Phosphate way to high.
Alk way on the higher end of the range.
The system appears new and would not be suitable at this stage.

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I admit I am very new and learning here. My LFS said all my levels were good after they tested my water three days ago. So were they just trying to make a sale?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a post on here where a guy talks about feeding a bleached nem a tentacle from a healthy nem to give it a zooxanthellae boost. Never tried it but interesting idea.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I admit I am very new and learning here. My LFS said all my levels were good after they tested my water three days ago. So were they just trying to make a sale?
Your parameters may be fine, but your beneficial bacteria buildup may be low. Nems prefer tanks that are established and not so new.

OP
OP
jbaird

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the BTA is still alive. I moved him onto some high rocks nearer the light and he seems happier. But he is still really sickly looking. He really is not eating well at all. Hoping I can bring him back and not lose him.

Attachments

• 16277821000583884340100170599259.jpg
    16277821000583884340100170599259.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 40
Back