BTA Size Limit by Space

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pretty dumb question. I have never kept BTA long enough to find out but is the growth limited by the space? I have 9 of them in a 30g frag tank now. They are small but are growing in size pretty fast. What happens will they have taken all the available space?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pretty dumb question. I have never kept BTA long enough to find out but is the growth limited by the space? I have 9 of them in a 30g frag tank now. They are small but are growing in size pretty fast. What happens will they have taken all the available space?
They'll wander or be sold.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have seen photos of BTAs in the wild creating a carpet of anemones covering large areas. If there are enough rocks with adequate attachment spots, I think you can have wall-to-wall clones happily living together. Once adequate attachment spots on the rocks are all occupied, then you're going to have wandering BTAs, I expect.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i believe they’re not limited by space, as they can shape themselves bigger or smaller depending the area. they’re interesting inverts!

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess they will split when they reach a certain size but will not grow bigger. Many species like humans will grow then die. It seems corals and anemones don't do that. They split and live on.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe they’re not limited by space, as they can shape themselves bigger or smaller depending the area. they’re interesting inverts!
Not really. They always fully inflate when happy.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not really. They always fully inflate when happy.
then come back to this thread after all available space is taken to see what occurs! i would like to assume their foot will shrink and keep most of its hold(depending the flow), which is mainly what i was referencing in my previous post. this would allow for more real estate to split/plant their foot and stretch out to the water more. i guess the ones within a shadow would be the most likely to wander/float/roam as others mentioned above

nice little experiment?

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then come back to this thread after all available space is taken to see what occurs! i would like to assume their foot will shrink and keep most of its hold(depending the flow), which is mainly what i was referencing in my previous post. this would allow for more real estate to split/plant their foot and stretch out to the water more. i guess the ones within a shadow would be the most likely to wander/float/roam as others mentioned above

nice little experiment?
Yes. I will leave them alone and see what happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back