BTA under 1x Kessil A360X inside 2 foot cube tank

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably very specific but am keen to find out from others with same gear and tank spec.

Tank: 60 x 60 x 60 cm (2 foot cube) or 23.6 inch.
Light: 1 x Kessil A360X
Species: Bubble Tip Anemones (BTA)

Question:
  1. What is your MAX light intensity on this Kessil A360X?
  2. Do you feel Color dial matters on BTA in Kessil A360X? I mean if BTA can like/dislike.
Mainly focusing on the lighting but I do understand water chemistry and water circulation/flow also matter significantly to them.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 24" x 24" x 12" high tank with one A360x running at 100% and the BTAs loved it. I think it'll be fine with a tank twice as tall. The color doesn't really matter, that's up to you. The BTA may shift colors under different spectrums, but it'll be happy nonetheless.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably very specific but am keen to find out from others with same gear and tank spec.

Tank: 60 x 60 x 60 cm (2 foot cube) or 23.6 inch.
Light: 1 x Kessil A360X
Species: Bubble Tip Anemones (BTA)

Question:
  1. What is your MAX light intensity on this Kessil A360X?
  2. Do you feel Color dial matters on BTA in Kessil A360X? I mean if BTA can like/dislike.
Mainly focusing on the lighting but I do understand water chemistry and water circulation/flow also matter significantly to them.
I have a 90g with 2 360we tuna blues. I have them at 90% intensity during peak and around 60 color or so.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it probably is enough light directly below it or if you have rockwork that is situated higher.
I have a total of 10 nems now (started with 2) some are right under the lights, some all the way down by the gravel.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far so good, in a way that both forest fire BTA anchored and not floating away.

the other good thing, one anchored and expand every time lighting is on.
the bad thing, the other one anchored and quite small and not as expanded, even when the lighting is on.

I have powered up the intensity from 60% to 75%, ramp up and ramp down that is.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far so good, in a way that both forest fire BTA anchored and not floating away.

the other good thing, one anchored and expand every time lighting is on.
the bad thing, the other one anchored and quite small and not as expanded, even when the lighting is on.

I have powered up the intensity from 60% to 75%, ramp up and ramp down that is.
Don't power up quickly. Maybe 5% every other week. For now, acclimation is priority.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 1 is still loving life since introduction, whilst the other one is hiding under a rock.
Both are at the very bottom of the tank, while one is inflated, the other isn't.
Just a reminder: these 2 nems come from 2 different seller, though both are forest fire BTA.

I have been reading posts in Reef2Reef in relation to new BTAs hiding and folks are concerned about they aren't getting sufficient light and whilst Melev mentioned to turn the rock for the Nem to get light coverage but overall replies from Reef2Reef are to leave it alone, which is what I am planning to do.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: one is enjoying life since day 1 and the other started to come out; so far, it has been 2 days it has gone out and expanding its tentacles to grab some LED lights.

First time I did the weekly husbandry (WC) so we'll see if anything interesting will happen, hopefully non negative effect.

I do have two questions though;

1. In your experience in keeping BTA (RBTA, Forest Fire or anything red in that matter) or even any other color of BTAs, do you know if they win their battle against Corallimorpharia (aka morphs)? As with corals, they normally fight for space, right?

2. In the rock where the shy BTA hiding, there is detritus (algae) and one small Aiptasia; do you know if BTAs are bothered with detritus and do you know if they will win their war against Aiptasia?
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back