Kessil Options for 60g Cube

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He everyone! I'm planning out a 60 gallon cube (24"x24"x24") build and wanted to get some regarding the lighting. I really love the look of Kessil shimmer, so I've made up my mind that I want to go with a Kessil. The tank itself will be a mixed reef with some SPS and maybe a clam down the line. I've been trying to decide between the A360X or the A500X. The initial feedback I've been given has suggested that the 360 will definitely need supplemental lighting a la LED bar to increase PAR and achieve more even fill lighting. Would I need the same LED bar setup for the 500? I'm assuming it won't be so much to increase PAR as it will be evening out the point source. I don't have any strong opinions on mounting height, but would prefer a cleaner look as the lighting will be exposed.

As for supplemental LED bars, any favorites between Reef Brites, Quanta Pros, or AI Blades?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two a360x lights for better spread. Any Kessil light will require supplemental lighting when the coral grow into colonies, imo. But luckily that is usually a couple years. Check out my build thread for more insight on how I did it with my sps tank if you want. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two a360x lights for better spread. Any Kessil light will require supplemental lighting when the coral grow into colonies, imo. But luckily that is usually a couple years. Check out my build thread for more insight on how I did it with my sps tank if you want. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thanks! I'm going to take a look now! Would you mind maybe peeking at my build thread and seeing if there's anything else I could be doing better?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could get a reflector and 360x. I probably wouldn't go 500. there may be some shading as reefer matt said after coral grows in, but that may be with any light and gives you space for lower light coral.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could get a reflector and 360x. I probably wouldn't go 500. there may be some shading as reefer matt said after coral grows in, but that may be with any light and gives you space for lower light coral.
Are you talking about the Kessil reflectors? Don't they make the beam even more focused?

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Kessils since they were introduced to the hobbyist market. I had a pair of A360we on a 60 cube. With the addition of a Reefbrite that covered the width of the tank I was able to grow SPS very well, Montis almost too fast. Plenty of LPS on the sand and half way up the rock.

After a year I did add a Tridacna crocea and supplemented lighting with a Kessil A160 pointed directly at it. They'll enjoy 300 PAR or more. Easy to grow with good water and enough light. You just have to consider what else is getting that level of light around them.

With high light levels you really need to keep your eye on parameters as they'll become the limiting factor for growth more than light, in my experience, and a clean up crew that's keeping on top of algae become essential.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about as in depth you can get on the Kessil A360X. It should be very helpful to you.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running an AP9X over my 3'x2'x13" tall shallow reef with Haddoni carpets and clams. They seem to love it and I love it!
I also ran 4 Kessil A360We's over my 4' x 2' x 16" tall tank for a couple of years and loved them! They put out all the necessary light I needed for my high light demanding Magnifica anemones and SPS corals that were mounted in the top half of the tank. The fixtures were over 5 years old and still going strong, but I was concerned about decreasing PAR values at that age so I switched over to 250 watt metal halides for now. I like the halides, but I will be switching back to Kessils with my new tank upgrade. I love the shimmer, simplicity of use, and the coloration they give! They also look very good over a rimless/canopy less tank!

smoothie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I had done, the BRS videos recommend one 360x if you are looking to grow LPS and softies and two 360x if you want to successfully grow SPS. I have a similar tank 22" square that I am setting up and considering the AP9X instead of 2 360x. Its about the same money and has the built in wi-fi.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I had done, the BRS videos recommend one 360x if you are looking to grow LPS and softies and two 360x if you want to successfully grow SPS. I have a similar tank 22" square that I am setting up and considering the AP9X instead of 2 360x. Its about the same money and has the built in wi-fi.
That's sort of where I'm at too. I've read some posts saying the AP9X lenses are teardrop or oval-shaped, which gives the fixture a more rectangular spread... which might be tricky to dial in on a square tank. It sure is sleek and the build in wi-fi is a nice feature. I hate having decision paralysis from an abundance of good options! Down the road I'm going to want to get some Quanta bars are supplemental lights so I'm also trying to imagine how those three or four fixtures will look at the top of my tank together.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about as in depth you can get on the Kessil A360X. It should be very helpful to you.

Thanks, after watching that, I think if I go the A360X route, I would definitely need two.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back