Bubble algae confusion

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just wanted to post to clear up some confusion I have about bubble algae. So for context I have a 10 gallon reef tank with 3 soft corals, a pair of clowns, some filter feeders and 2 trochus snails and I typically feed flake food every day to every other day. I have an immense amount of bubble algae that builds up over time but I was curious as from my research it is a pest algae but can grow in any conditions/ any level of nitrate so do I/ don’t I buy more clean up crew in order to eat the left over detritus to reduce the chances of it growing?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I have been able to get rid of bubble algae was with adding something that ate it. I used a foxface, which clearly isn’t an option for you, but emerald crabs work too. Just watch to make sure the crab doesn’t start going after corals once the bubble algae is gone, they’re not completely reef safe.
You can keep it under control with manual removal.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have observed emerald crabs picking at bubble algae I have not had much luck with them eradicating it. I have watched the emerald crabs eat fish food instead and stealing food from my lps to the point of damaging the lps.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any success with my emerald crabs in one tank, and maybe some success in my small tank. But it could have been the Fritz Algae-Be-Gone I resorted to because it got so bad in there. Maybe the Fritz knocked it back so the crabs could keep up? But my crabs have been good citizens so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back