Bubble algae

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, i’ve been battling bubble algae the past few months and cannot get rid of it to save my life. i’m willing to try just ab anything right now. does anyone have any ideas or anything for getting rid of bubble algae? would a few day blackout work? any ideas are welcome

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pitho crabs are supposedly more effective than emeralds. I’ve been debating that for awhile as well, but just clean every time I’m in the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, i’ve been battling bubble algae the past few months and cannot get rid of it to save my life. i’m willing to try just ab anything right now. does anyone have any ideas or anything for getting rid of bubble algae? would a few day blackout work? any ideas are welcome
What size tank?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs are supposedly more effective than emeralds. I’ve been debating that for awhile as well, but just clean every time I’m in the tank.
that’s what i’ve heard as well. my tank has quite a bit and they don’t come off hardly at all

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emerald crab took care of my bubble algea problems. Every once in a while I'll see a bubble somewhere remote in the tank and think, "this guy will never find it". To my surprise he ashtrays dies.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is true. I have 2 in my tank and they dine on bubble algae but they are somewhat territorial and don't venture far from their caves so you periodically have to hand place them where you want them to work most but keep in mind bubble algae can grow in caves under the rocks in darkness too so the crabs are working in space that you typically would not see also.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is true. I have 2 in my tank and they dine on bubble algae but they are somewhat territorial and don't venture far from their caves so you periodically have to hand place them where you want them to work most but keep in mind bubble algae can grow in caves under the rocks in darkness too so the crabs are working in space that you typically would not see also.
do they like to eat corals? i’ve had a bad experience with emerald crabs i don’t know if pitho crabs will eat the corals too.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never owned one, but from my forum research, it looks similar to emeralds in the sense that one (I can’t remember which) is better at eating the bubble algae. The male and female have distinct differences where one has huge claws and the other doesn’t, I can’t remember which. Other thing to note is they get bigger than emeralds, I have a Fluval 32 as well so I’ve been on the fence about a pitho. To quote another reefer on here “if it has claws it has flaws”. Lots comes down to the individual personality of the crabs (same is true for hermits).

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resorted to treating my entire tank with Flux Rx (fluconazole). The recommended dose is for bryopsis. The dose that works for Valonia is 4x the bryopsis dose, and it is slow. But it works. I understand that it is an antifungal agent that works against an enzyme that is necessary for cell wall synthesis (which micro and macroalgae also need). It causes an arrest of fungal cell growth and, presumably, also causes an arrest of micro/macroalgae cell growth. I believe it is also most effective under bright lights, not bubbles that are hiding in the shadows--I speculate that it has to do with the faster build-up of the molecules that the normally functioning enzymes convert for cell wall synthesis--these molecules are meant to compromise fungal cell wall structures when not converted, so under high light where Valonia would normally grow, it becomes toxic. This is speculation only.

I have noticed that none of my corals or nems (which don't have cell walls because they are animals) or any fish or other inverts (which don't have cell walls either) were negatively effected to the point of death. I did notice a slight change of color in one of my RFAs that returned after ending treatment, but the RFA remained healthy by all appearances. A montipora digitata also seemed to stall in growth during the 6 week treatment. My macroalgae was toast (they have cell walls).

Coraline algae grew at an advanced pace while the bubble algae was dying away, so I assume it was unaffected by the Flux.

Additional notes:
1. I made sure to add an airstone in the AIO chamber to keep oxygen levels up in case there was an adverse effect on oxygenation.
2. I also regularly dosed "beneficial" bacteria in case there was new "real estate" left behind by the dying Valonia for other baddies like Dinos to establish themselves. PNS Probio to be specific.
3. I have ocean live rock in the tank, and I think that helps in many unknown ways.
4. Now I have a few bubbles that appear occasionally that I am staying on top of by manual removal and sucking out with pipette every few days. Like 1-10 bubbles at a time. I assume these are the ones that escaped treatment in the shadows and are looking for new real estate. It's much more manageable than before, knock on wood.

That's my experience. Happy to help if you choose the nuclear option.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resorted to treating my entire tank with Flux Rx (fluconazole). The recommended dose is for bryopsis. The dose that works for Valonia is 4x the bryopsis dose, and it is slow. But it works. I understand that it is an antifungal agent that works against an enzyme that is necessary for cell wall synthesis (which micro and macroalgae also need). It causes an arrest of fungal cell growth and, presumably, also causes an arrest of micro/macroalgae cell growth. I believe it is also most effective under bright lights, not bubbles that are hiding in the shadows--I speculate that it has to do with the faster build-up of the molecules that the normally functioning enzymes convert for cell wall synthesis--these molecules are meant to compromise fungal cell wall structures when not converted, so under high light where Valonia would normally grow, it becomes toxic. This is speculation only.

I have noticed that none of my corals or nems (which don't have cell walls because they are animals) or any fish or other inverts (which don't have cell walls either) were negatively effected to the point of death. I did notice a slight change of color in one of my RFAs that returned after ending treatment, but the RFA remained healthy by all appearances. A montipora digitata also seemed to stall in growth during the 6 week treatment. My macroalgae was toast (they have cell walls).

Coraline algae grew at an advanced pace while the bubble algae was dying away, so I assume it was unaffected by the Flux.

Additional notes:
1. I made sure to add an airstone in the AIO chamber to keep oxygen levels up in case there was an adverse effect on oxygenation.
2. I also regularly dosed "beneficial" bacteria in case there was new "real estate" left behind by the dying Valonia for other baddies like Dinos to establish themselves. PNS Probio to be specific.
3. I have ocean live rock in the tank, and I think that helps in many unknown ways.
4. Now I have a few bubbles that appear occasionally that I am staying on top of by manual removal and sucking out with pipette every few days. Like 1-10 bubbles at a time. I assume these are the ones that escaped treatment in the shadows and are looking for new real estate. It's much more manageable than before, knock on wood.

That's my experience. Happy to help if you choose the nuclear option.
I will definitely look into this thank you.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaefix or vibrant worked for me.

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A double dose of reef flux fluconazole stopped the bubble algae from growing. This allowed me to catch up on manual removals. Previously, I would remove a filter sock full of bubble algae over the weekend only to have it grow back in a few days. Nutrients have skyrocketed but the corals are looking happy as can be.

I've tried algaefix only to have it crash my phosphate and give me my first dinos outbreak.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back