Fish just keep dying one a week

Undecidedmn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 year old established tank that is a fowler. 60 Gallons. Fish just die one a week, same way. Rapid breathing staying in one spot of the tank and then no strength stuck in either a powerheard or return. I have no idea why. Water parameters are excellent. I do a water change with store bought water 2-3 times a month 5-10 gallons. All invertebrates are fine. Have a bubble algae problem I am fighting with emeralds.

Six fish have died over the past few months. I have replaced a few but they go as well. Down to snails (which are huge), urchins, crabs, and three fish left. Thinking of getting a UV as it has to be a parasite or something? Do I have to breakdown the tank to get rid of this? Almost ready to shut down. Lost my clowns who were 3 years old. Heartbreaking.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish disease. what's your disease protocol/prevention plan in place

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
things you add wet from pet stores/the fish themselves carry disease and can have delayed onset usually linked to a recent non quarantined addition, from another tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV ain't gonna stop a disease in your tank. Stop adding more fish until you determine the cause and a proper course of action.

OP
OP
U

Undecidedmn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty. Stop adding fish more than a month ago. Just two replacements when I thought it was random deaths. I am doing water changes and does Seachem MetroPlex. What else should I do?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty. Stop adding fish more than a month ago. Just two replacements when I thought it was random deaths. I am doing water changes and does Seachem MetroPlex. What else should I do?
Rapid breathing is a symptom of velvet along with quick death. Unless you see other symptoms showing? Have you checked for stray voltage and made sure your filtration is functioning normally. Temp and salinity? Don't trust LFS water.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics in white lighting and a short video of any fish with issues will help this.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume the tank is infected per the stickies in the disease forum. Time for fallow and quarantine

OP
OP
U

Undecidedmn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish have issues right now. Just a scooter blenny, wrasse, cardinal and goby left. I do not think any stray voltage and filtration is working fine. Skimmer running well with Blue Chemipure and filter floss.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how you know its disease: staggered fish loss, only fish, no protocols in place.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no other mechanism for a staggered fish loss affecting only fish that has an entire forum of study dedicated and in place. For example, bad calcium levels don't cause that. Not a chemistry or filtration thing. Can't be contamination since losses are fish only. Recent adds from a pet store, disease is the first and last suspected cause for sure.

OP
OP
U

Undecidedmn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all help. So I will catch the four fish left and go from there. Should I just break down the tank and rebuild 2 months down the road?

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"disease" typically indicates bacterial or fungal in origin, I'd also add parasites as another potential cause.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, breaking down the tank isn't in the stickies in the disease forum

make sure to get your disease preps solely from there, in the stickies
to run fallow you want your aged materials in the tank as the fish are held/prepped elsewhere.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back