fishes dying one by one over 1-2wk

maiv_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

15gal AIO tank, 4 months new, with 8 fish now one one left (firefish)

royal gramma
2 clowns
firefish
2 blue chromis
yellow blenny
seven line wrasse

all have been in tank for a few months and healthy. one chromis disappeared several weeks ago.

yellow blenny and seven line wrasse was added exactly 2wks ago. yellow blenny died in 1wk. seven line wrasse 1-2 days later. royal gramma and 7 line wrasse a day or so later. never found the royal gramma but the wrasse looked perfect--i couldn't tell that he was dead just looking at him.

the 2 clowns acted strangely for a few days last week--they huddled on the bottom corner of tank next to the water outlet. i did notice on of the them scraped himself against the sand a few times. both were spotless and still eating the evening before they died. i did a 25% water change the night before they died. i did another 25% water change the morning i found the 2 clowns dead.

since this weekend, only 1 chromis and firefish were left. today, the chromis acted the same way the clowns did and died today.

firefish looks good and is spotless.
still have some snails and one shrimp crawling around

water parameters are normal on my home test and when i took a water sample to the LFS. pH around 7.8. temp 76-77.

corals are doing well. i have zoanthids but undisturbed since i glued them down months ago. i have a small bag of activated charcoal in the filter.

parasites? the sand scraping suggests that but every fish was spotless before and after. eyes where clear. no mucous coat.

there is algae but water is clear

voltage leak?

i have a small skimmer which should increase O2.

anyone with any thoughts?
thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for future reference with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

royal gramma
2 clowns
firefish
2 blue chromis
yellow blenny
seven line wrasse

all have been in tank for a few months and healthy. one chromis disappeared several weeks ago.

yellow blenny and seven line wrasse was added exactly 2wks ago. yellow blenny died in 1wk. seven line wrasse 1-2 days later. royal gramma and 7 line wrasse a day or so later. never found the royal gramma but the wrasse looked perfect--i couldn't tell that he was dead just looking at him.

the 2 clowns acted strangely for a few days last week--they huddled on the bottom corner of tank next to the water outlet. i did notice on of the them scraped himself against the sand a few times. both were spotless and still eating the evening before they died. i did a 25% water change the night before they died. i did another 25% water change the morning i found the 2 clowns dead.

since this weekend, only 1 chromis and firefish were left. today, the chromis acted the same way the clowns did and died today.

water parameters are normal on my home test and when i took a water sample to the LFS. pH around 7.8. temp 76-77.

corals are doing well. i have zoanthids but undisturbed since i glued them down months ago. i have a small bag of activated charcoal in the filter.

parasites? the sand scraping suggests that but every fish was spotless before and after. eyes where clear. no mucous coat.

voltage leak?

thanks
Too many fish for that size tank is my guess.

I'd only have two fish in a 15 gal.

These fish are used to living in an ocean.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was very overstocked and with some aggressive and territorial fish. It was bound for a sad ending unfortunately.

It’s really important to research fish compatibility and appropriate tank size for each fish. Stress, aggression, and possibly disease wiped out the fish. Only 3 fish should be in that size tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

royal gramma
2 clowns
firefish
2 blue chromis
yellow blenny
seven line wrasse

voltage leak?

thanks
Not a “voltage leak”.
Unlikely to be low oxygen since some fish are still alive.

This sounds like flukes to me. The scratching, slow mortality and some species not being affected all point to that.

You can treat with Prazipro for flukes.

I should add that the others are right, that was too many fish for that sized tank - even if the water quality is managed, diseases like flukes spread fish to fish….and that gets worse in cases where fish are close together.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did that LFS sell you the tank and those fish? Why would they only check your pH and the water temp of a sample? Did they know the size of your tank? It’s just not sustainable or ethical to me to have that many fish in a tank that size. It’s worth it to move your live rock around to find a dead fish. I understand your confusion and I’m sorry about your fish. You did large water changes and tried, but everyone needs the right guidance at first. I feel like a LFS really should have helped you more regardless of where you bought anything. A pH test alone isn’t going to tell you much. It’s a bizarre situation when the people who are profiting the most off of this hobby are the least helpful. You really need to have test kits though. They’re really not that difficult and I will walk you through it. Some Reefers are color blind and can’t use tests based on color charts and I can help with that over the phone until digital checkers can be used too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back