Bubble algae

SaltwaterTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has had bubble algae I tried the suction it out method and it did not go well at all . I’ve also tried using crabs but they didn’t do anything I’m also scared they would mess with my coral . I now think the algae will spread a lot due to what happen . Is there anything I can do to help ?!

evan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problem recently. I ended up carefully removing them by hand and ended up with 3/4 of a pint glass of them! Some were the size of a small grape.
An emerald crab would likely prevent any new bubble algae forming but it is unlikely that they will do anything to larger, more established bubbles.
I would suggest careful manual removal plus the addition of a pair of emerald crabs. There appears to be little else you can do but, on the plus side, they must be using excess nutrients in the tank in order to grow so removing them also removes some nitrates.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna throw this out there...probably not possible for most since they have corals in the tank. I accidentally left my lights for for 4 whole days. The bubble algae turned clear and I was able to remove it much easier. I also had a couple mushrooms and a little coraline bleach out but they are recovering.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not personal or mean, but I would not recommend attempting manual removal as it is a) unnecessary and b) will have no impact long term.

I have been using Emerald Crabs to control bubble algae in my 240 for more than a decade. I have 5 in there now and see a bubble here and there mostly on the inside edges of my overflow. Add 3 to your tank and be patient. It takes some time and depends on how bad the growth is so far.

Emerald Crab/ Bubble Algae Eater Extraordinaire

I would also suggest one of these as well just because they eat almost everything bad. They don't live long once the rock work is clean but they do a heck of a job eating virtually everything from diatoms to hair algae:

Chestnut Turbo/ The Ultimate Algae Eater

Here is a picture of my reef in 2011

Zenith.jpg

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emeralds did it for me but they hair algae came in hords but I am using vibrant now to see its effects.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back