Bubble Coral:Question

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Corals are some of my favorite corals. My large bubble coral is better and seems to be doing okay today (picture attached), however about a week ago I noticed that on one side is a bony spike with green on it (picture attached). That side appears to be the weaker side when it is inflated. I was happy to see that today it was almost fully inflated. I feed it small pink shrimp that I get from the pet store. IS there anything that I need to do regarding the green boney spike? I have a 65 gallon ocean view aquarium.

download (49).jpg download (50).jpg download (51).jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would appear to be bone, or at least coral skeleton. Might be the edge where it was fragged, not yet fully grown over, or might be some lingering damage. Give it good conditions and it should fill itself out just fine.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an exposed septal ridge which is part of the skeletal cup where the polyp anchors, and green micro algae is taking over the new exposed real estate

If that was mine I'd remove the irritant that caused area damage if any, and be removing the coral and using a q tip in peroxide I'd keep that ridge cleaned and free of algae until it heals which is months of increased feeding to bring the flesh back strong in the area. There are even instances in which id surgically remove that exposed area if the growback was bad enough. Prevent algae attachment at the site of injury or recession

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would appear to be bone, or at least coral skeleton. Might be the edge where it was fragged, not yet fully grown over, or might be some lingering damage. Give it good conditions and it should fill itself out just fine.
Thank you!

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an exposed septal ridge which is part of the skeletal cup where the polyp anchors, and green micro algae is taking over the new exposed real estate

If that was mine I'd remove the irritant that caused area damage if any, and be removing the coral and using a q tip in peroxide I'd keep that ridge cleaned and free of algae until it heals which is months of increased feeding to bring the flesh back strong in the area. There are even instances in which id surgically remove that exposed area if the growback was bad enough. Prevent algae attachment at the site of injury or recession
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back