bubble coral

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, what I think is, a fairly large bubble coral. Is it possible that it likes salinity of 1.026-1.028 more that 1.022-1.025? It has started, for the last week, looking kind of "shrinked". All that I know has changed is that I dropped the salinity faster that I should once or twice and I added a blue tang. My daughter thinks the blue tang and the purple tang are doing too much swimming and unsetting the coral.

livingcorals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be if it dropped fast however a pic would be most helpful. Notice any tissue issues? Are you seeing more skeleton?

OP
OP
TriMax

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No "tissue issues", I think. No skeleton. Just shrinking like it does every night when the lights go off.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your calcium, alkalinity, magnesium? I had a huge bubble in there with Priscilla and Linus and neither one was able to bug that coral at all. I would also strive to keep my salinity stable at 1.025 if at all possible. Most corals don't like lower salinity, I believe.

OP
OP
TriMax

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble looks fine tonight, but my Alk and Mg do not. I will need to spend a week or so raising them slowly

CA -- 420
Alk -- 2.5 or .86
Mg -- 1005

I had not tested before. Ok now fuss at me. Just got the BRS 2 part in yesterday. Will bring some of my water in to get it tested tomorrow to make sure my kits, probably old, are giving me good numbers.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go REALLY slow with your Alk... I wouldn't raise more than 1 per week... But thats me... :)

OP
OP
TriMax

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update on the bubble coral

It seems to be doing fine. I think it must have been the swing in salinity. I know better, BUT..... Will definatly try to avoid that in the future. Need to raise the other water chemistry parameters, too. What I got on the tests and what the LFS got are not close at all. Not sure what to do.

I think I may get a quart of tank water and test it and take the remainder to LFS for testing. Hoping the result will be closer together. :wink: I think both mine and the LFS test kits are old. Not sure how much that matters.

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to everything else, quality, non-expired test kits are cheap! I'd trust that over what you or an LFS gets with expired kits, especially if there is a significant discrepancy between them.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't use frickin' expired kits...unless there's nothing else and then we TELL you that it's all we had.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back