Oh no, white spots on Unicorn

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a QT / Observation tank for incoming fish for a new larger build. 3 baby tangs and a wrasse. Everybody’ been happy the last 2 weeks, then suddenly my unicorn stopped eating day before yesterday and now this. I just started administering Metroplex - I don’t think I can do copper because of the wrasse. Does that make sense?
I have slowly bumped up the salinity from 1.018 (online retailer hypo salinity) to 1.022. Should I bring it back down?

IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you could give some better pictures with whiter light. How is the breathing, etc - this does not look exactly like Ich (alone) to me. At a minimum I would start the copper/prazipro listed at the top of the form in the stickies section.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Started a QT / Observation tank for incoming fish for a new larger build. 3 baby tangs and a wrasse. Everybody’ been happy the last 2 weeks, then suddenly my unicorn stopped eating day before yesterday and now this. I just started administering Metroplex - I don’t think I can do copper because of the wrasse. Does that make sense?
I have slowly bumped up the salinity from 1.018 (online retailer hypo salinity) to 1.022. Should I bring it back down?

IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
This is a skin irritation with mucus plugs mixed in with ich and fish needs to be placed in sterile tank and treated with coppersafe at 2.25 for 30 days- no less with a focus on water quality monitored with a reliable test kit
For copper- use Hanna copper copper test kit and add aeration

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 - with one more comment -the fish on several levels looks like it is not in good shape, the fins look somewhat ratty, and the large white spot looks like it may have started from an injury. But - in any case needs immediate treatment

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a skin irritation with mucus plugs mixed in with ich and fish needs to be placed in sterile tank and treated with coppersafe at 2.25 for 30 days- no less with a focus on water quality monitored with a reliable test kit
For copper- use Hanna copper copper test kit and add aeration

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear: don’t treat with copper in the current cycled QT he has been living with 2 other tangs and a wrasse but start a new sterile tank for him alone?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear: don’t treat with copper in the current cycled QT he has been living with 2 other tangs and a wrasse but start a new sterile tank for him alone?
You need to treat this fish, but also any fish that have been exposed to it, so if I read it correctly, you should treat them in their current tank. Coppersafe at 2.25 ppm is fine for wrasse.

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to treat this fish, but also any fish that have been exposed to it, so if I read it correctly, you should treat them in their current tank. Coppersafe at 2.25 ppm is fine for wrasse.
Thank you Jay. I wish I had read your QT protocol before I rushed into this. I had planned an observational quarantine with no plan what to do if one of the fish breaks out with a disease 2 weeks in. Of course none of my LFS has Hanna checkers, I ordered one online which isn’t going to arrive until Sunday. I did manage to pick up Copper Power and Seachem Cupramine - they didnt have Coppersafe.

In the meantime, I am relying on hyposalinity and 81F temp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back