Clownfish with brown spots

DirkDigler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. Yesterday I woke up to check on my DT and noticed bumps all around my mocha storm clownfish (only the larger one) the bumps are also a shade of light brown. So far, her breathing doesn't appear to be abnormal but I do see her swimming towards the power head more than usual. There has been two occasions while observing her that she will spaz out but then calms down. She isn't really eating too much at the moment. I usually feed my stock music, brine and tsp chroma boost pellets. I have other forms of nutrition and occasionally place seaweed sheet in there for them. My current stock is as follows:
•YWG with a tiger pistol shrimp (9months in tank)
•royal gramma ( 1 1/2 months)
• pink striped wrasse ( 3 weeks)
• mocha clowns ( 8-9months)
• Blue Flasher wrasse (1 week)
• cleaner shrimp
• pair of harlequin shrimp
• anemone bubble tip (2weeks)
The only stinging corals I can think of is 3 zoa frags. The rest of the stock seems healthy all swimming normal and eating well. The clowns are not hosting the anemone as they previously hosted a bubble coral that they killed from being too rough on it and now there is only the skeleton that remains but still claim it as their home. I recently had to capture my tail spot blenny because it was nipping at every single coral but did take awhile to capture so perhaps I stressed out the clown a lot.
Tank size: 32.5 Fluval
Grav: 1.025
pH: 8.0 fluctuates 8.0-8.2 depending if I leave doors and windows open.
Ammo: 0
Nitrate : <5.0
Phos: haven't checked today but always runs high and last time it was 3.0 I use Hanna ulr
Nitrite: 0
KH: 9.0
Ca: 460
Mg: 1380
I have pictures although not very good. I have taken out the clown and was much easier to capture than any other fish in the past. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and placed her in a 10 gallon QT using DT water. I have to start treating her since I wanted some input as to the spots. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230908_142641009.MP.jpg PXL_20230908_142643130.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture had me wondering how come the reflection had large brown spots,
PXL_20230908_142643130.jpg

But I figured it out upon reflection :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The fish may have some light skin issues, is it bacterial?

I apprecate that you "woke up to check the DT!" ( I wake up to check on my animals and fish too!)

That the fish is not eating is a major concern. We all need energy to fight off infections and it could be a symptom of any number of issues.

@Jay Hemdal , @ReefSquad - Any real advice from the experienced fish medics would be much better than what I have offered here.

For feeding, if you can get live brine it might entice the feeding behavior that is absent. GL

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your Harlequin shrimps, you do not mention you have sea stars?
I do not know enough about disease to help you with the clown.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. Yesterday I woke up to check on my DT and noticed bumps all around my mocha storm clownfish (only the larger one) the bumps are also a shade of light brown. So far, her breathing doesn't appear to be abnormal but I do see her swimming towards the power head more than usual. There has been two occasions while observing her that she will spaz out but then calms down. She isn't really eating too much at the moment. I usually feed my stock music, brine and tsp chroma boost pellets. I have other forms of nutrition and occasionally place seaweed sheet in there for them. My current stock is as follows:
•YWG with a tiger pistol shrimp (9months in tank)
•royal gramma ( 1 1/2 months)
• pink striped wrasse ( 3 weeks)
• mocha clowns ( 8-9months)
• Blue Flasher wrasse (1 week)
• cleaner shrimp
• pair of harlequin shrimp
• anemone bubble tip (2weeks)
The only stinging corals I can think of is 3 zoa frags. The rest of the stock seems healthy all swimming normal and eating well. The clowns are not hosting the anemone as they previously hosted a bubble coral that they killed from being too rough on it and now there is only the skeleton that remains but still claim it as their home. I recently had to capture my tail spot blenny because it was nipping at every single coral but did take awhile to capture so perhaps I stressed out the clown a lot.
Tank size: 32.5 Fluval
Grav: 1.025
pH: 8.0 fluctuates 8.0-8.2 depending if I leave doors and windows open.
Ammo: 0
Nitrate : <5.0
Phos: haven't checked today but always runs high and last time it was 3.0 I use Hanna ulr
Nitrite: 0
KH: 9.0
Ca: 460
Mg: 1380
I have pictures although not very good. I have taken out the clown and was much easier to capture than any other fish in the past. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and placed her in a 10 gallon QT using DT water. I have to start treating her since I wanted some input as to the spots. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230908_142641009.MP.jpg PXL_20230908_142643130.jpg
Brown spots on clowns are most often due to coral stings, but zoas won’t do that, and the lack of appetite as a secondary symptom doesn’t match up either.
Sorry - the spots don’t look like any of the major diseases….
Jay

OP
OP
D

DirkDigler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your Harlequin shrimps, you do not mention you have sea stars?
I do not know enough about disease to help you with the clown.
Chocolates every 2 weeks I used to only give one for both depending on the size if it's large or two smaller stars for each. I tend to separate them sometimes since the bigger one tends to have a hefty appetite and will go eat the other as well if the smaller harlequin one isn't finished. One is male and other female.

OP
OP
D

DirkDigler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown spots on clowns are most often due to coral stings, but zoas won’t do that, and the lack of appetite as a secondary symptom doesn’t match up either.
Sorry - the spots don’t look like any of the major diseases….
Jay
Thanks for the reply, it does concern me as well . I've never seen anything like that either. Like I said before, I'm currently not treating it and just observing in a QT for now. I was hoping someone might have a clue as to what it is and guide me to the appropriate treatment. I have copper on hand but I know that can be harsh on fish and don't want to put them through that if it isn't velvet disease. Do you think if I bought garlic and add to frozen food might help appetize my clown? It's not breathing heavy either, I'm very much confused.

OP
OP
D

DirkDigler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture had me wondering how come the reflection had large brown spots,
PXL_20230908_142643130.jpg

But I figured it out upon reflection :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The fish may have some light skin issues, is it bacterial?

I apprecate that you "woke up to check the DT!" ( I wake up to check on my animals and fish too!)

That the fish is not eating is a major concern. We all need energy to fight off infections and it could be a symptom of any number of issues.

@Jay Hemdal , @ReefSquad - Any real advice from the experienced fish medics would be much better than what I have offered here.

For feeding, if you can get live brine it might entice the feeding behavior that is absent. GL
It's been my daily routine since I started my tank. Honestly, I look forward to my tank every chance I get. It's always an adventure whether good or bad. Thank you for your reply and for tagging another fellow and experienced reefer. I dont usually do it because it can get expensive but I do buy the 3 little combo jars from algae farm that includes copepods and small live brine. I do that honestly every 6-8 months at a time I look at it as treat but they do go crazy for them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back