BUBBLE IN TANK GLASS ?!?!?!?

evan42781

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys,
So I have a 90 Gallon Marineland corner overflow tank. I was cleaning the glass and on one of the side panels I noticed a tiny air bubble trapped in the glass. I reached out to Marineland and they looked over the photos below are are willing to ship me a replacement tank. I have asked if this bubble compromises the structural integrity of the tank and they haven't responded yet. This is a up and running establish tank so swapping it is easier said than done. Do you guys think i should swap or keep it as it is? If this bubble was anywhere else (bottom or back glass) I would have never known. That is a dime in the pictures for size comparison. I'd say its no bigger than the head of a needle.

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping will be a pain but I wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing I could lose everything!

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a tiny bubble, and they are rare in plate glass. Speaking as an engineer, yes technically it is a stress riser. Stress risers increase stress locally as a function of their curvature. Because cracks have infinitesimal radii at their point, they are incredibly destructive in glass. However your bubble is of less concern because it is very small (leaving a ton of structure around it) and it is nicely curved (reducing it's impact). If it were my tank, I'd not worry about it. Perhaps keep the extra tank in case, but it is doubtful that bubble will ever cause an issue.

Cheers!

OP
OP
evan42781

evan42781

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a tiny bubble, and they are rare in plate glass. Speaking as an engineer, yes technically it is a stress riser. Stress risers increase stress locally as a function of their curvature. Because cracks have infinitesimal radii at their point, they are incredibly destructive in glass. However your bubble is of less concern because it is very small (leaving a ton of structure around it) and it is nicely curved (reducing it's impact). If it were my tank, I'd not worry about it. Perhaps keep the extra tank in case, but it is doubtful that bubble will ever cause an issue.

Cheers!

Thanks for your insight!

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive a zombie thread but I also discovered a bubble in the front glass panel of a marineland 90 gallon corner overflow tank. I've had it for 8 months before noticing it and now that I've seen it, its always the first thing I see. I need to take the tank down temporarily so if marineland offers a replacement I will gladly take it. I will update with whatever they decide.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a tiny bubble in my glass. Anyone see this as an issue?

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqueon 75 that has a single very similar tiny bubble. Didn’t notice it until 6 months into the currant tank setup I have. Going on a year now and hasn’t busted yet thankfully.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very hard to find usually. U can spot them by looking through the sides of the glass

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back