Bubble Magnus Curve 5 users

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I swapped out my old SRO 2000 for a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 on my 80 gallon SPS. I was surprised by the size and the design as it was only a 190USD skimmer. I've only heard good things but Mine is sitting in 8 inches in the sump and seems to already be skimming.

I'd like to get input from any Curve 5 users.
Pls share you experience.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Mine is about 4 years old and still working like new.
In my case it's about 10" (25 cm).

OP
OP
Ert

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, at 10 inches what's your skimmer setting? Min 1,2,3 MAx?

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, at 10 inches what's your skimmer setting? Min 1,2,3 MAx?
When I clean it I put at Min, then after a few days it kicks in and as the bubbles line rises I move to 1, then to 2 and usually stays in 2 until next time I clean it.
But it depends on your total DOC, dissolved organic carbon.
In your case it may work fine at 8", it's up to you to see how the bubbles/foam line sets.
I like to have this line at the beginning of my cup (cup red ring attached to the body's cone).

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had one on my old tank, worked great, skimmed like a champ.
bought one for my new tank and could not get it to function properly.
tried 9-11 inches, tried 4-5 inches.

ended up just buying the nyos 160

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works but it's fussy, I really don't care for it. One thing to be aware of is that the airline gets clogged frequently at the attachment. Keeping that clear from salt condensate helps with it functioning more consistantly.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been running since I started the tank 2 years ago. Off hand I can't remember how high I have it sitting but I know it's between 7"- 9" and have it set between 1-2. The only time I've had problems is if I let the nipple that the hose attaches to build up with salt causing the skimmer to overflow. I started cleaning the skimmer more frequently and that's not a problem anymore.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works but it's fussy, I really don't care for it. One thing to be aware of is that the airline gets clogged frequently at the attachment. Keeping that clear from salt condensate helps with it functioning more consistantly.
Yes. I forget it!
With time the venturi attachment to the airline gets clog with salt. If suddenly you see the even in the MAX your bubble line is about half of the cup then it is for sure clogged.
Still very happy, after 4 years.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I swapped out my old SRO 2000 for a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 on my 80 gallon SPS. I was surprised by the size and the design as it was only a 190USD skimmer. I've only heard good things but Mine is sitting in 8 inches in the sump and seems to already be skimming.

I'd like to get input from any Curve 5 users.
Pls share you experience.
I think its a fine skimmer considering the price. I was pretty frustrated with mine at first but after running it in a 5 gal bucket with vinegar, it runs like a champ now. Didn't like the noise until i added some airline and ran out back of stand and now its very quiet. If you have new filters socks make sure you rinse them first or you get a bubble explosion.

OP
OP
Ert

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fact that it disassembles so easily and you can clean every part of it. It's only been a day or so but it's skimming already, no break in period. I'm running it at setting one

reefaland310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fact that it disassembles so easily and you can clean every part of it. It's only been a day or so but it's skimming already, no break in period. I'm running it at setting one

+1 very easy to clean

snwmnky007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a fine skimmer considering the price. I was pretty frustrated with mine at first but after running it in a 5 gal bucket with vinegar, it runs like a champ now. Didn't like the noise until i added some airline and ran out back of stand and now its very quiet. If you have new filters socks make sure you rinse them first or you get a bubble explosion.

Gonna try this, bubbling like crazy at 1 and 7” all new socks

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back