bubble magus doser

david3727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a doser and would like to now a good starting point for all 3 (alk, cal,mag) I currently have it set for 20ml a day of each. Its a 90 gallon reef. been manually dosing and its kind of all over the place to keep the perimeters in check. seems to be getting close to the 25 ml day range. not many corals yet but will be adding some soon but do I let it ride a week then test or test everyday and make adjustments

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my parameters to where I want them which is the levels in my salt. Then let's say at 10pm check your parameters. Then 3 days later check your parameters again at the same time. Then you use the reef calculator for the amount that needed to be dosed and divide it by 3.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set the doser (all channels) based on alkalinity measurements over several days to a week or two, starting weith the 20 ml per day and raising it or lowering it as appropriate to get to your target alkalinity.

Then think about calcium and see where it is and track it but don't change anything for a substantial period while you monitor it (unless it is very low, then give a one time boost). Eventually, make any minor needed tweaks to it.

Magnesium is VERY slow to deplete, so watch it for a couple of weeks before doing anything special about it.

OP
OP
david3727

david3727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, so test every day the alkalinity only or once a week then once its stable work on the calcium if I'm reading this right.

OP
OP
david3727

david3727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that what is being dosed is still in the hose and hasn't worked its way to the sump yet. I did prime the hoses to the doser from the containers.

OP
OP
david3727

david3727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doser.jpg
this is the set up so the travel line is filling but hasn't made it to the sump yet will that through the test off since it might take a day for it to make it to the sump??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, so test every day the alkalinity only or once a week then once its stable work on the calcium if I'm reading this right.

Every day or two when starting, if it is a new dose. :)

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take like a hour to fill the lines if they are running 1.1 ml. Most likely all you will have to dose unless your tank is pretty old with huge colonies is alk. I made the mistake and bought 3 dosing pumps but realized all I had to do was bump up the magnesium on my water change water and the mag is fine with weekly water changes. When I did mine I started the alk on 1 minute 8x a day. Then I tests to see if it stayed the same. I believe it's at 24 ml per day. I don't dose calcium

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back