Bubble Magus Mini Q Chugging Noise: Solved

  • Thread starter Thread starter PRB83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PRB83

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2025
Messages
46
Reaction score
18
Location
Simpsonville, SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Bubble Magus Mini Q and struggled with it because it always made a consistent and loud chugging noise, like it was getting choked with too much water. After a lot of troubleshooting, I was finally able to diagnose the problem. There is extra water entering the skimmer from where the black pump housing connects to the clear skimmer body. I was able to use a rubber band as an o-ring and it solved the chugging problem. The skimmer now runs consistently without the extra noise.

The picture shows the location of the leak and where I put the rubber band to make a better seal.

1000003050.jpg


Just wanted to share my experience with the group in case anyone ran into similar issues.
 
Hmmm. I really like my Bubble Magus Nano skimmers. Glad you were able to nail down the problem and the solution. Thanks for sharing.
 
A follow up on this: After my chugging noise returned and trying to fix the problem again, I found the culprit to be the "o-ring" that's inset in the pump housing. It's not thick enough and it sits flush with the pump housing. It doesn't seal properly against the skimmer housing, allowing water to come in and creating the "chugging" house. I fixed the problem by removing the o-ring, placing a small elastic hair tie in the groove, then reinstalling the o-ring. It has now worked great for a week with minimal noise and no chugging.

1000003214.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new