Bubble Magus Protein Skimmer

misszoelove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I'm in no means a reef tank genius, but have had a reef tank for about 1.5 years now and at my wits end. I have a Fluval Flex 123l tank, which we have made modifications on (no lid and have an AI Hydra 32hd light)

I noticed that our tank had been producing micro bubbles (which were attaching to the glass and live rock etc) and wanted to get to the bottom of it. I changed my tank water and also pulled out my Bubble Magus protein skimmer to ensure it was working correctly. Once putting it back in I noticed that it wasn't skimming and the tank was beginning to get filthy and gunky. I realised what the issue was and finally believe I have the skimmer working correctly again (it's foaming bubbles and collecting the gross gunky green water), but the tank itself is still cloudy and full of gunk and has been for a couple of weeks now.

I've done several water changes, and it doesn't seem to be fixing the issue. Our corals have been separated into their own little isolation tanks, but I don't have high hopes for them. The fish/livestock are completely fine (Coral Beauty, Convict Tang, Molly, Chocolate Goby, x3 Blue Chromis & Bandit Shrimp).

Could someone offer any advice/suggestions as to what to do?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What more does he/she need beyond ceramic rings, live rock and water changes? That seems like plenty of bio filtration to me.
Since you asked... actual filter socks/filter floss/fleece rolls are superior to those black foam blocks (which need to be changed every 3-5 days anyway). Protein skimmers will take out less - but are still beneficial. Water changes remove the least amount of waste.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the skimmer working correctly again (it's foaming bubbles and collecting the gross gunky green water),
How fast does it fill with the green water? Is it thick green sludge or just discoloured water?
If it's pulling a lot of nasty stuff out it may indicate an imbalance in your tank and a possible rethink on the filtration and/or maintenance periodicity.

I have a Curve 7 on my 110 gal. and it takes a few days to register any fluid in the cup despite a decent brown foam.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back