Bubble Magus QQ1 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer Review

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I wanted to give a quick review of this Bubble Magnus QQ1 HOB protein skimmer!

This is my first reef tank and I didn’t fully understand the importance of a skimmer, so I thought I could just do without. After becoming a bit more educated and a few fellow hobbyists stressing the importance of a skimmer, I buckled and decided it is a piece of kit I need to add to my tank. However I used a SunSun 704 Canister as the filtration for my tank, recycled from my freshwater setup. So I didn't have a sump to put a skimmer in, so I knew it would have to be a HOB style.

I only had 3" inches between my wall and the back of my tank, and this was really the only skimmer that I could find that would fit in that space, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I didn't take unboxing pictures, but it was very well packaged and came with everything I needed to get it going.

I knew this unit was designed for rimless tanks, and the rim on my Petco 55 gallon tank was going to be too big, but I read other reviews say the trimmed the rim and was able to get it to fit onn tanks with rims. So I was hopeful. Luckily I was able to get it to fit!

Y4pWUAx.jpg

As you can see I had to use a razor blade to make it fit, but it did with no problem!

uxv9zBT.jpg

PDFuTok.jpg

IXTU5cN.jpg

It doesn't intrude too much into the tank, and from a viewing height, I don't see it in the tank at all, you have to duck down to see it. the unit is black and I have a black background, so it blends in pretty well.

rpydji0.jpg

Getting it primed was a little tricky. You have to cover the air hole with your finger and constantly pour water into the unit, probably took a good gallon of water to get it primed. Once I figured that out it was working great!

It started to work almost instantly! This was the first "load" for lack of a better word.

lYS7em6.jpg

and this was the second time I cleaned the cup.

KRHnvnz.jpg

The unit is rated for up to a 25 gallon tank according to the manufacturer, but I put it on my 55 gallon, and its working great! After getting it, I was told under sizing the skimmer is not such a bad thing because it will work more consistently.

As far as sound, its very quiet, there is a slight hum to it, but it's not intrusive at all.

Last thing I think would be microbubbles, a few make it through the sponge that is supposed to stop them, but it's nothing terrible, totally acceptable....

So ya... after using it for almost a month I have been very happy with it!

It's on amazon for $80, but you can get them from AliExpress for $40, but I wanted to be able to return it if I didn't like it, so I got it off Amazon.

Gets a big thumbs up from me!

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review, thanks for sharing!!!

PS - tank looks nice also - can you provide a full tank shot:)

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been looking at this one for my 34g....not a fan of the giant skimmers or the ones with all the plumbing inside the display.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the most recent FTS I have!

5E7u0wA.jpg
Nice looking tank. Looks like it has a lot of motion in it. I had a toadstool like that for a lot of years. I took it out to when it was about 3 feet across to make some room and there was some dime sized pieces still stuck to the rock and then I had 5 of them. My clowns loved it.
IMG_1337.JPG

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for almost 9 months now... Still working GREAT on my 55 gallon. Still would HIGHYLY recommend it.

Only gripe I've found with it is that every time I do a water change, and the water level in the tank drops below the intake level of the skimmer, So I have to re-prime it every time I do a water change... Not a big deal. Only takes 30 seconds to re-prime it, and its back up and running.

Still 2 thumbs up

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a QQ1 to a 20gal nigh no sump about a month ago. So far, I'm very pleased. And yes. I do have to reprime after a WC.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started using this skimmer but I find it to have a super loud hum. Does it quieten down with time or could there be something wrong with mine?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't have a loud hum, but it isn't exactly silent. Maybe the motor isn't seated properly? I would take it apart and reassemble to see if it quiets down.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't have a loud hum, but it isn't exactly silent. Maybe the motor isn't seated properly? I would take it apart and reassemble to see if it quiets down.
Thanks, I'm not sure how but I seem to have made it much quieter now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back