Bubble Magus Z-8 Protein Skimmer

Ecotech Marine

Brit’s Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All!

Has anyone used a Bubble Magus Z series protein skimmer? I'm looking for a skimmer with a small footprint for my Proclear Prostar 150 because I'd like to use the bigger sump compartment as my refugium. The DT is about 120g & the sump adds another 25g or so. The compartment that is really reserved for the fuge is smaller than I'd like it to be & its in the back of the sump where I would not be able to clean it or see it as easily. I'd ultimately prefer to also have a home for any misbehaved residents who need a time out. I can always have an external refugium, if I must, but just putting the skimmer in a different place is preferred.
The compartment I'd like to put the skimmer in is 7" x 10 1/2" & this skimmer is only 5.12" x 7.88".
I watched a couple of reviews of these skimmers on Youtube (Jeff at Premium Aquatics/Mad Hatter's Reef has a good one) & read some reviews on different websites which all seemed to be good, but I want to try to get some personal, unpaid reviews. :) The shape of the skimmer is definitely different.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I recommend this one instead. Its small and quiet and the one you linked looks a bit too small for your tank. You might be emptying that cup hourly on that little guy. This one also has a small footprint too. 7"x7" and only 10$ more

OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
I recommend this one instead. Its small and quiet and the one you linked looks a bit too small for your tank. You might be emptying that cup hourly on that little guy. This one also has a small footprint too. 7"x7" and only 10$ more

Thank you!! I'm going to check this one out! The cup on the Z-8 is the main thing I was concerned about when looking at it.

Aquarium Specialty