Bubble Magus Z-8 Protein Skimmer

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All!

Has anyone used a Bubble Magus Z series protein skimmer? I'm looking for a skimmer with a small footprint for my Proclear Prostar 150 because I'd like to use the bigger sump compartment as my refugium. The DT is about 120g & the sump adds another 25g or so. The compartment that is really reserved for the fuge is smaller than I'd like it to be & its in the back of the sump where I would not be able to clean it or see it as easily. I'd ultimately prefer to also have a home for any misbehaved residents who need a time out. I can always have an external refugium, if I must, but just putting the skimmer in a different place is preferred.
The compartment I'd like to put the skimmer in is 7" x 10 1/2" & this skimmer is only 5.12" x 7.88".
I watched a couple of reviews of these skimmers on Youtube (Jeff at Premium Aquatics/Mad Hatter's Reef has a good one) & read some reviews on different websites which all seemed to be good, but I want to try to get some personal, unpaid reviews. :) The shape of the skimmer is definitely different.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend this one instead. Its small and quiet and the one you linked looks a bit too small for your tank. You might be emptying that cup hourly on that little guy. This one also has a small footprint too. 7"x7" and only 10$ more

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any videos on it? Or in ppls tanks on utube maybe?
D

There are a few videos on the smaller ones but none on this one in particular. Jeff's video, linked above, was pretty good though. I've been watching him a few years & tend to agree on a lot of his takes.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend this one instead. Its small and quiet and the one you linked looks a bit too small for your tank. You might be emptying that cup hourly on that little guy. This one also has a small footprint too. 7"x7" and only 10$ more

Thank you!! I'm going to check this one out! The cup on the Z-8 is the main thing I was concerned about when looking at it.

garybigley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Has anyone used a Bubble Magus Z series protein skimmer? I'm looking for a skimmer with a small footprint for my Proclear Prostar 150 because I'd like to use the bigger sump compartment as my refugium. The DT is about 120g & the sump adds another 25g or so. The compartment that is really reserved for the fuge is smaller than I'd like it to be & its in the back of the sump where I would not be able to clean it or see it as easily. I'd ultimately prefer to also have a home for any misbehaved residents who need a time out. I can always have an external refugium, if I must, but just putting the skimmer in a different place is preferred.
The compartment I'd like to put the skimmer in is 7" x 10 1/2" & this skimmer is only 5.12" x 7.88".
I watched a couple of reviews of these skimmers on Youtube (Jeff at Premium Aquatics/Mad Hatter's Reef has a good one) & read some reviews on different websites which all seemed to be good, but I want to try to get some personal, unpaid reviews. :) The shape of the skimmer is definitely different.

Any thoughts are welcome!

I had looked for a narrow skimmer last year and settled on a Deltec 1000IX - I don't think the Bubble Magus Z8 was out yet. The Deltec recently starting failing, as did Deltec support, so I tried a Z8. My two cents, it's half the price of the 1000IX and at least as good, maybe better. It took 36 hours to settle in and is skimming great. It's the narrowest out there and is the quietest I've ever heard. It's really quiet as well, probably the best I've ever had. It also has the drain plug on the skimmer cup, which I like and wasn't there on the last one. I'm only a few days in, but I am liking the Z8 so far. Also, I have it in ~ 9 inches of water and it's doing fine. I see 6-8 on some write-ups, but also have seen others saying higher is fine. I'm prepared to raise it if need be, but like I said, it's running great right now.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had looked for a narrow skimmer last year and settled on a Deltec 1000IX - I don't think the Bubble Magus Z8 was out yet. The Deltec recently starting failing, as did Deltec support, so I tried a Z8. My two cents, it's half the price of the 1000IX and at least as good, maybe better. It took 36 hours to settle in and is skimming great. It's the narrowest out there and is the quietest I've ever heard. It's really quiet as well, probably the best I've ever had. It also has the drain plug on the skimmer cup, which I like and wasn't there on the last one. I'm only a few days in, but I am liking the Z8 so far. Also, I have it in ~ 9 inches of water and it's doing fine. I see 6-8 on some write-ups, but also have seen others saying higher is fine. I'm prepared to raise it if need be, but like I said, it's running great right now.
Are you having any issues with micro bubbles? I had a lot of trouble dialing it in and getting rid of micro bubbles so I ended up using my old Reef Octopus 150INT but it takes up a TON of space. I've held onto the Z8 in hopes that there might be other users out there with tips!

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any issues with micro bubbles? I had a lot of trouble dialing it in and getting rid of micro bubbles so I ended up using my old Reef Octopus 150INT but it takes up a TON of space. I've held onto the Z8 in hopes that there might be other users out there with tips!
Did you end up using this skimmer? How do you like it? I'm looking to resurrect an Elos Mini I've had in storage for years and also want to use the skimmer chamber as a refugium. The Elos is only 20 gallons.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back