Bubble Tip Anemone Not Doing Well

Elliotjj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, still relatively new to reefing, just recently got this bubble tip anemone two or three weeks back now. Slowly since, it has started shrinking up, revealing its mouth way more, and loosing the dense coloring on the tips/arms. I placed it in a nice spot in my rocks and after moving all over the tank decided to stay on my frag rack for some reason. The past week it decided to move to the underside of the rack for some reason. I have noticed from time to time a small black string like material coming out of the mouth. Water parameters appear to be normal and all coral still doing fine. During the day the anemone just looks sad and shrinking, while at night it puffs up and looks larger/normal. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is, however I believe it could be an issue of too much lighting? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

bubble tip close up.jpg
bubble tip with black string bent over.jpg
Bubble tip anemone underside black string.jpg
Bubble tip anemone on top of rack.jpg
Bubble tip anemone first got.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Excessively high or excessively low nutrients and salinity could cause this. Also, how long has your tank been set up? Large anemone species (eg. bubble tips, carpets, etc) need well established tanks in order to thrive. 8-10 months with dry rock, and about 6 months with live rock. I hope that this helps!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all, still relatively new to reefing, just recently got this bubble tip anemone two or three weeks back now. Slowly since, it has started shrinking up, revealing its mouth way more, and loosing the dense coloring on the tips/arms. I placed it in a nice spot in my rocks and after moving all over the tank decided to stay on my frag rack for some reason. The past week it decided to move to the underside of the rack for some reason. I have noticed from time to time a small black string like material coming out of the mouth. Water parameters appear to be normal and all coral still doing fine. During the day the anemone just looks sad and shrinking, while at night it puffs up and looks larger/normal. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is, however I believe it could be an issue of too much lighting? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

bubble tip close up.jpg
bubble tip with black string bent over.jpg
Bubble tip anemone underside black string.jpg
Bubble tip anemone on top of rack.jpg
Bubble tip anemone first got.jpg

For starters, these guys do best in well established, not newer tanks. Additionally, they do not like changes in water chemistry and in fact water changes - Stable environment best
Thet have certain light and flow requirements which is Moderate lighting and water flow. Too much flow and they move. Too little flow and they seek the power head often getting caught in it
Too much light and they hide. Too little light and they either climb towards light or shrivel as in your pics
Feeding also essential which best is chopped krill or mysis shrimp
Assure your nitrates-ph-salinity are Not elevated

Back