OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. LFS aren’t always the best at giving advice. If I were you (you seem to be a serious reefer) I would get a basic microscope from Amazon and ID what you have.

You’re going to need it occasionally if you stay in the hobby. Depending on what it is, you will want to stop water changes, trace element dosing, etc.

Now you might be fighting blind folded.
Im most definitely taking my tank seriously and want the best for it. Even though im pretty new to the hobby and my tank been 4 months old i try to keep everything in check, but like i said i am new and most definitely not know much about all the bad stuff

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im most definitely taking my tank seriously and want the best for it. Even though im pretty new to the hobby and my tank been 4 months old i try to keep everything in check, but like i said i am new and most definitely not know much about all the bad stuff
If you get a microscope, people here will be able to id what is on your sand.

This is the one that was recommended to me and that a lot of people buy :
1706994674878.jpeg

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a microscope, people here will be able to id what is on your sand.

This is the one that was recommended to me and that a lot of people buy :
1706994674878.jpeg
Thanks I'll look for it right now.

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i have been doing research on that website and saltwater aquarium as well. Will this stuff on my rocks and sand will ever go away, seems like after a water change and sand vacuuming it comes back within a couple of days, that's the only thing that its ugly right now lol
Yes, right now you're in what we call the "Ugly Phase" Probably about 90-95% of new tank setups go through it and honestly every setup I've had has gone through it lol. It appears that you have Cyano Bacteria in your system right now. I always use ChemiClean for my Cyano outbreaks and it has worked wonders within 48 hours of treatment for my tanks every time. Just ensure you turn off any protein skimmers and remove any Chemipure and carbon from your filtration before dosing! then after 48 hours (Sometimes I stretch it out to 72 hours for a full effect) perform a 20% water change. And for the ugly phase that you're in, just continue being consistent as you are now and I promise you will notice improvement in your display tank by the 8-9 month mark.

Speaking of ChemiClean, I just dosed my 10-gallon column bedside reef tank with it literally 30 minutes ago. Probably why I sounded like I read the box lol :face-with-tears-of-joy: but Cyano can pop up from time to time. ChemiClean in my experience just makes it disappear completely every time.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, right now you're in what we call the "Ugly Phase" Probably about 90-95% of new tank setups go through it and honestly every setup I've had has gone through it lol. It appears that you have Cyano Bacteria in your system right now. I always use ChemiClean for my Cyano outbreaks and it has worked wonders within 48 hours of treatment for my tanks every time. Just ensure you turn off any protein skimmers and remove any Chemipure and carbon from your filtration before dosing! then after 48 hours (Sometimes I stretch it out to 72 hours for a full effect) perform a 20% water change. And for the ugly phase that you're in, just continue being consistent as you are now and I promise you will notice improvement in your display tank by the 8-9 month mark.

Speaking of ChemiClean, I just dosed my 10-gallon column bedside reef tank with it literally 30 minutes ago. Probably why I sounded like I read the box lol :face-with-tears-of-joy: but Cyano can pop up from time to time. ChemiClean in my experience just makes it disappear completely every time.
Im going to do another go around with chemiclean it did work the first time, my roller mat picked up most of it, this is how my tank looks after a clean it and vacuum the sand, love way they look white sand and the fish are very happy. On another note you said you had a tank next to ur bed, thats awesome

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to do another go around with chemiclean it did work the first time, my roller mat picked up most of it, this is how my tank looks after a clean it and vacuum the sand, love way they look white sand and the fish are very happy. On another note you said you had a tank next to ur bed, thats awesome
Yeah, I would give it another go and see if it works better. However, I'm curious if the Reefmat is preventing the ChemiClean from doing its job. Reefmats are so good at pulling just about everything out of the water column that it would make sense if that's why your experience with ChemiClean hasn't been the best. Maybe turn the Reefmat off for 48 hours before the dosing? I just got on the fleece roller train so I'm genuinely curious to know if that's why. But my gut tells me it is lol.

And yes, nothing is better than being able to wake up next to a piece of the ocean! (Can't let the lady know that though :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::winking-face-with-tongue:)

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would give it another go and see if it works better. However, I'm curious if the Reefmat is preventing the ChemiClean from doing its job. Reefmats are so good at pulling just about everything out of the water column that it would make sense if that's why your experience with ChemiClean hasn't been the best. Maybe turn the Reefmat off for 48 hours before the dosing? I just got on the fleece roller train so I'm genuinely curious to know if that's why. But my gut tells me it is lol.

And yes, nothing is better than being able to wake up next to a piece of the ocean! (Can't let the lady know that though :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::winking-face-with-tongue:)
Lol ur secret its save lol, I'll try removing my fleeve roller next time thanks you have been very helpful thank you very much

Attachments

• 17070032102284677279566661578436.jpg
    17070032102284677279566661578436.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 16

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ur secret its save lol, I'll try removing my fleeve roller next time thanks you have been very helpful thank you very much
Anytime! You're welcome! Feel free to keep me posted! Your tank looks pretty awesome! You should look into starting a build thread on here for your system!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back