OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones can move on their own. It will find a spot it likes if it’s that unhappy. Plus, the foot is going to be buried into the rock so getting it off is going to be tricky if you decide you want it to move for whatever reason.
Ok, thanks. I was told at my store that if you ever want to move them and not hurt them you can use a cube of ice on the foot and they will let go without hurting them

reef2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. I was told at my store that if you ever want to move them and not hurt them you can use a cube of ice on the foot and they will let go without hurting them
That is one method but the spot the foot is in is going to be impossible to get to. I had to specifically position a wave maker at the area of my nems foot for about an hour before it let go.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one method but the spot the foot is in is going to be impossible to get to. I had to specifically position a wave maker at the area of my nems foot for about an hour before it let go.
Wow stubborn little guys lol

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this bubble tip anemone for a week now, it's been in between this two rock and it retracts and extense, and eating normally. Is this normal? My pair of Clown fish are not hosting it either. The bubble tip stays retracted most of the time, is this normal? What other corals or anemone can i add if it doesn't move from this spot?

17039738708518150437262722573655.jpg 17039739025255533989751224213526.jpg
Hi there! it's pretty normal to see an anemone inflate and deflate as most of the time they will excrete old water and then proceed to inflate with new water. Now you mentioned the anemone is eating normally? how often are you feeding it? typically anemones are good with eating once per week and up to twice per week at most. But if it's eating normally then I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. I know the most common question you'll be asked here is how old is the tank. typically anemones should not be added to the aquarium until you've had your tank up for at least 4-5 months and some would even beg to differ and recommend longer but personally, I've had success with anemones in previous systems that were only at the 4-5 month mark. Happy Reefing Juan!

Edit: I almost forgot! As far as your Clownfish hosting the anemone goes. That can take time and is never an instant thing that happens as soon as the anemone is placed in the tank. The symbiotic relationship can take weeks and even months to happen. And in some cases, it may never happen unfortunately as much as I hate to say it. But stay positive haha!

Last edited:

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rasta, Fruit loops, and dragon eyes are all really cool.

My personal favorite are the pikachu zoas.
I have to agree with you! Those are all great picks for Zoa's! Especially the Rasta's! I recently picked up the Spider-Man Zoa's a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying them too.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! it's pretty normal to see an anemone inflate and deflate as most of the time they will excrete old water and then proceed to inflate with new water. Now you mentioned the anemone is eating normally? how often are you feeding it? typically anemones are good with eating once per week and up to twice per week at most. But if it's eating normally then I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. I know the most common question you'll be asked here is how old is the tank. typically anemones should not be added to the aquarium until you've had your tank up for at least 4-5 months and some would even beg to differ and recommend longer but personally, I've had success with anemones in previous systems that were only at the 4-5 month mark. Happy Reefing Juan!

Edit: I almost forgot! As far as your Clownfish hosting the anemone goes. That can take time and is never an instant thing that happens as soon as the anemone is placed in the tank. The symbiotic relationship can take weeks and even months to happen. And in some cases, it may never happen unfortunately as much as I hate to say it. But stay positive haha!
Thank you for responding to my question im new to the hobby but very dedicated to my aquarium, since then i have hammer corals duncans, sponge, lobo, ect weekly water changes really make a big difference. My clown are not hosting my anemone yet lol and my anemone still in the same place as it was from day one. My tank is now 4 months old, my fish and corals are happy i think. Been talking a lot with my local store fiah owner lots of knowledge. Im more worry of a dottyback that i have since day one as well, his very aggressive and trys to bully my foxface more then double his size and my red coris gets pick on my dottyback and he killed a sand sifter goby, i need him out of my tank

Attachments

• 20240202_182320.mp4
    65.5 MB

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding to my question im new to the hobby but very dedicated to my aquarium, since then i have hammer corals duncans, sponge, lobo, ect weekly water changes really make a big difference. My clown are not hosting my anemone yet lol and my anemone still in the same place as it was from day one. My tank is now 4 months old, my fish and corals are happy i think. Been talking a lot with my local store fiah owner lots of knowledge. Im more worry of a dottyback that i have since day one as well, his very aggressive and trys to bully my foxface more then double his size and my red coris gets pick on my dottyback and he killed a sand sifter goby, i need him out of my tank
Hi Juan you're welcome! There's a lot to learn in this hobby. I have been in the saltwater hobby for 14 years now and still to this day I find that I am always learning new things. A tip that I have for adding fish that you're interested in getting for your tank would be to use a website such as Live Aquaria (Click The Link) as a reference guide for researching a specific fish's temperament and I would start by adding the "Peaceful" fish first and leave anything labeled as "Semi-Aggressive" for last. The reason is that usually Semi-aggressive fish that are the first to be added to the tank typically tend to become territorial of their spot in the tank or some cases the entire tank which will result in nonstop bullying and nipping at other fish. Hope this helps! It's helped me in my personal experience.

Keep up on those weekly water changes too! they help tremendously for your water column. As for your clownfish not hosting the anemone yet just give it all the time it needs lol. Unfortunately, that one is just a mandatory waiting game all of us reefers have to abide by lol. A trick that some hobbyist have had success with when it comes to dealing with aggressive fish bullying other livestock in their tank is to take a mirror or the mirror side of an old CD and tape the mirror side on the tank where the aggressive fish usually hangs out at and that will usually result in the aggressive fish attempting to fight itself in the mirror. Now I don't exactly know the science behind the method but what seems to happen is the fish will constantly tire itself out and realize nothing is working and you should begin to notice an overall change in its behavior towards the other tankmates. Personally never had to do this but I've heard from other reefers who tried this with their problem fish and have had success. Always worth a shot before sending him back to the LFS!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you id’d what’s on your sand ? Some types of dinos are toxic and can hurt your fish and corals. Even your anemone. Don’t wait until it’s out of control to fix it.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mix, I buy it from my LFS. It sounds like I should be keeping it higher? What do you suggest?
Oh, I wasn’t questioning your choice ! I’ve most often seen 1.026 recommended for reefs so that’s what I use.

I was just thinking that if your reef is successful at 1.024, maybe it’s something I should explore and save a little money on salt. Everything is so expensive.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you id’d what’s on your sand ? Some types of dinos are toxic and can hurt your fish and corals. Even your anemone. Don’t wait until it’s out of control to fix it.
I used chemiclean last week, and repeating again this one

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Juan you're welcome! There's a lot to learn in this hobby. I have been in the saltwater hobby for 14 years now and still to this day I find that I am always learning new things. A tip that I have for adding fish that you're interested in getting for your tank would be to use a website such as Live Aquaria (Click The Link) as a reference guide for researching a specific fish's temperament and I would start by adding the "Peaceful" fish first and leave anything labeled as "Semi-Aggressive" for last. The reason is that usually Semi-aggressive fish that are the first to be added to the tank typically tend to become territorial of their spot in the tank or some cases the entire tank which will result in nonstop bullying and nipping at other fish. Hope this helps! It's helped me in my personal experience.

Keep up on those weekly water changes too! they help tremendously for your water column. As for your clownfish not hosting the anemone yet just give it all the time it needs lol. Unfortunately, that one is just a mandatory waiting game all of us reefers have to abide by lol. A trick that some hobbyist have had success with when it comes to dealing with aggressive fish bullying other livestock in their tank is to take a mirror or the mirror side of an old CD and tape the mirror side on the tank where the aggressive fish usually hangs out at and that will usually result in the aggressive fish attempting to fight itself in the mirror. Now I don't exactly know the science behind the method but what seems to happen is the fish will constantly tire itself out and realize nothing is working and you should begin to notice an overall change in its behavior towards the other tankmates. Personally never had to do this but I've heard from other reefers who tried this with their problem fish and have had success. Always worth a shot before sending him back to the LFS!
Thanks, i have been doing research on that website and saltwater aquarium as well. Will this stuff on my rocks and sand will ever go away, seems like after a water change and sand vacuuming it comes back within a couple of days, that's the only thing that its ugly right now lol

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re sure it’s cyano ? I’ve never used chemi clean but I’ve read bad reviews.
That's what my local store fish owner told me and it did clean a lot of stuff in my tank i can see it on my roller mat. But this stuff keeps coming back when i change water i vacuum the sand as well and within a couple of days is back

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what my local store fish owner told me and it did clean a lot of stuff in my tank i can see it on my roller mat. But this stuff keeps coming back when i change water i vacuum the sand as well and within a couple of days is back
Hmm. LFS aren’t always the best at giving advice. If I were you (you seem to be a serious reefer) I would get a basic microscope from Amazon and ID what you have.

You’re going to need it occasionally if you stay in the hobby. Depending on what it is, you will want to stop water changes, trace element dosing, etc.

Now you might be fighting blind folded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back