OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean, purchasing a second power head then a second light bar then a UV sterilizer?
Lol the used tank came with a 40watt uv sterilizer, old but it still works. Money is my current limiting factor

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a build thread by the way man. I like your ghetto light hanging system, would be fun to see how you do 2.
It is indeed super ghetto. It's a bar hanging from a chain hanging from loops in the ceiling haha

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I don;t know which is better, that or the tubing that runs from your fuge to your bubble trap :p

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level is held constant where my sump is thanks to a baffle it flows over and into the fuge :)
46d2f287323b308b06af8f126b8e3adb.jpg

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I don;t know which is better, that or the tubing that runs from your fuge to your bubble trap :p
I call that tubing my snorkel since I didn't set my baffles quite right and too much substrate was preventing an even flow

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries man, I'm not picking on you, I'm laughing with you. That was literally me when I started salt water. Armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enough to prevent some "DOH" moments

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured twice cut once then realized I done up and cut on the wrong side of the line more than once. I also had forgot to purchase another baffle and changed the whole sump plan rather than wait 2 more days

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably be headache ahead if I had bothered to look at others set ups in person ahead of time, but I definetly love my tall stand

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build is on my Facebook page "Landlocked and Under The Sea" I'm in the middle of Kansas and unfortunately saltwater tanks aren't too common here. My city Salina doesn't even have a LFS other than a petco :( thanks a ton for your knowledge and by chance do the make a tool to measure pars?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build is on my Facebook page "Landlocked and Under The Sea" I'm in the middle of Kansas and unfortunately saltwater tanks aren't too common here. My city Salina doesn't even have a LFS other than a petco :( thanks a ton for your knowledge and by chance do the make a tool to measure pars?

yes they do, but you're not going to like the pricetag, search for PAR meter, you'll need one for LEDs specifically. Also BRS has a video on PAR meters, sec

Pricey but one of the best tools you'll ever buy for your aquarium.

BioBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for starting this. I purchased a fully stocked Red Sea Max 250 used. It came with 3 bta that were all as white as yours. I thought that is how they were supposed to look. The lighting in the hood was not working properly so I gutted it and added a basic current marine orbit strip to it. Then after doing more research decided that 1 strip was not going to be enough. I added a second identical strip to it a few weeks later. Now 4 months later the nems are changing color. I was afraid this was not good. I still wonder if the light is not sufficient though as all the nems have settled about as high on the rock as they can.

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's moved closer to the light! Not open right now because I shut the pumps off and he got scurred, but he definitely looks better than he did a week ago.
6363a3bac7197bbac94c69a59f8f0e5f.jpg

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Amoo, got that second light bar. Not much to my wife's pleasing
c019b872050a404f22d5c53bdee358c4.jpg
04c5453fbd1085433068b3edb74be858.jpg

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA ventured deeper down into my tank again so before moving him I decided to add another light bar and see if it reaches him. How do I move him manually? Also, what's to make him not move on me again since he's all about that traveling life

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dude, double ghetto hanging rigs.

To get him to let go of the rock he's on, ice cubes from the freezer in a baggie so no ice water gets on nem. Put on his foot till he lets go. Will take a bit but he will.

Unfortunately there is nothing to keep him from moving again if he's not happy with where you place him. Maybe give him a few days to settle out and see where he pops back up?

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give him 3 more days with his ghetto fabulous new lights (which are offset 1 in as far as height to still be able to get into the tank lids) back one's tilted because she was mostly lighting up the back wall figure no one sees back there, but with both of them I'm definitely getting to see more of my tank haha

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a hood with 3 t5 spots and 3 halogen bulbs with ballasts, but she gets so hot and uses so much energy

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back