BuddhaReef's Reefhab Waterbox 60.2

BuddhaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

This will be a thread about (and to document) my Waterbox 60.2. I started reefing about 8 years ago with a 5g pico reef. A few tanks between then and now, and I have had my Waterbox 60.2 running for about 3 years, with rock from my original setups!

Due to life challenges, equipment challenges, hurricanes, and poor life choices, it fell into disrepair.

In the past 6 months, I have quit drinking, and got a new job (coincidentally at a LFS,) which has reignited my passion and care for my tank. Here is a GIF of a few months of reef rehabilitation:
20231106_212146.gif

And, here is the tank today:
20231207_145759.jpg

This tank is still a work in progress, but I am happy with how far it has come, and look forward to how far it can go!

Equipment:
  • Waterbox 60.2 Marine X
  • Sicce Silent 3.0 return (liars!)
  • Radion XR15 Blue G6
  • Hygger 30w LED (supplemental, Radion is a little weak!)
  • Nero 5 and Nero 3 running phased pulse
  • Jeabo SOW wavemaker through the rocks
  • Klir DI-4 fleece roller
  • Reef Octopus 110-int Classic
  • TLF Phosban 150 reactor running GFO
  • IceCap small CO2 scrubber
  • Aquatop internal UV sterilizer
  • Heater with controller, and fan run through Inkbird
  • Jeabo doser
Fish
  • Pair of clowns
  • Firefish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Blue Green Chromis
  • Springeri Dottyback
  • Mandarin dragonet
  • Pair of baby Benggai cardinals

Inverts and CUC
  • Pincushion urchin
  • Tuxedo urchin
  • 10 astrea snails
  • 10 throchus snails
  • 10 Blue leg hermits
  • 3 Mexican turbos
  • 1 cleaner shrimp
Corals and clams
  • Small Crocea clam
  • Medium Maxima clam
  • Lots of Montipora digitata
  • A few Monti. caps
  • A couple encrusting Montis
  • A couple Stylophoras
  • A couple Seriatoporas
  • A few Acroporas and Milleporas
  • Assorted zoas
  • One big Chalice
  • One Goniopora
  • One Frogspawn
  • One Hammer
  • A few Cyphastrea

Trials and tribulations

When I started my rehab (of the tank!), I was battling NO3 in the 180ppm range, and it was riddled with hair algea. A few months of 50% water changes, GFO sucking PO4 out of my rock and sand, manual removal, and ravenous herbivores, I believe I have gotten the upper hand on both high nutrients, and pest algea!

Equipment wise, I started this tank with an IceCap K1 skimmer that I could never dial in, and chinese black box lights that I either roasted, or underlit coral. I also used crappy powerheads with no adjustability, and probably did not have enough flow through my display. Over the last 6 months, I have upgraded to the equipment above, and have also started controlling temperature better, as I had been running at 81⁰!

Current chemistry, issues, and methodology

As of today, my numbers look like:
35ppt Salinity
NO3 21.2
PO4 .03
Alk 8.7
Ca 430
Mg 1380

I setup my Radion, and with it decided to turn the tank into an SPS dominant display. After adding some more light intensive inhabitants, notably the Crocea and some Acros, I decided to PAR map my tank. To my suprise, I was barely pushing 250 PAR at the top of my rocks with the Radion pushing AB+ at 99%!! I decided to add 2 cheap 30w amazon LEDs, and am now pushing a comfortable 400 at the top of my rocks.

The one down/upside of the Radion, is that it pushes an INCREDIBLY even spread throughout my 24" x 19" x 19" display. No spot on my rocks, even before supplemental lighting, is under 150 PAR, and as such I have run into issues with corals such as Cyphastrea. As far as I have been able to tell, Cyphastrea is the only species that I am having issues with in my tank so far.

My current methodology is slow changes, and stability as a key. I am fine with my NO3 and PO4 levels where they are, and I believe the nutrients support my high lighting and flow. I do about 10% water changes weekly, and dose Alk, Ca, and NoPox through a doser, and I top Mg monthly (thanks RMM!)

I have my Neros blasting 100% with child and parent pulse settings, with the Nero 3 chasing the Nero 5 at a 90⁰ phase. I use the old Jeabo to bring flow through the back of my rock work. My Radion blast 99% AB+, with my supplemental lights on for about 7 hours to up the peak photoperoid.

Phew, if you made it this far, thanks!! I'll keep this thread updated, I'll post some of my favorite inhabitants, give you all a sneak peak of the perks of working at the LFS!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back