Budget lighting for 40b

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m looking into a used 40 breeder hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Going to transfer everything from my 28 cube into the new tank but need a light. Currently I have all LPS but I would like to have some SPS and a BTA down the line. Looked over a lot of recommendations for lighting but most are out of my budget. I’m looking to spend MAX 220 and I would like to spend less if possible. The tank is coming with a T5 36” fixture but I have no expeirence with T5. I have seen various black box LEDs on Amazon (I don’t mind their ugliness) but I have no idea if they’re any good. Preferably I want ramp up/ ramp down, timer options as well. The light I stumbled upon and that seems like the frontrunner is the CurrentUSA IC Pro Loop. Anyone have any expeirence with this light? Or any other recommendations for me? Thank you in advance.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m looking into a used 40 breeder hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Going to transfer everything from my 28 cube into the new tank but need a light. Currently I have all LPS but I would like to have some SPS and a BTA down the line. Looked over a lot of recommendations for lighting but most are out of my budget. I’m looking to spend MAX 220 and I would like to spend less if possible. The tank is coming with a T5 36” fixture but I have no expeirence with T5. I have seen various black box LEDs on Amazon (I don’t mind their ugliness) but I have no idea if they’re any good. Preferably I want ramp up/ ramp down, timer options as well. The light I stumbled upon and that seems like the frontrunner is the CurrentUSA IC Pro Loop. Anyone have any expeirence with this light? Or any other recommendations for me? Thank you in advance.
I’m using current USA ic strip not the pro one while also using the R34 lights on my 20 gallon mixed reef tank. The strip can only keep every softie plus some easy lps. 40 gallon breeder you would probably need 2 r34 and not the strips for a mixed reef tank. App is easily accessible, not many options though. Your best bet would be going T5 if you’re on a budget LEDs are expensive but worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the T5's they will grow anything. Take some time and research leds before you purchase
and you will be way ahead of the game.
Ok got it. It’s a 4 bulb fixture, do you a recommendation on which bulbs to buy? I was trying to research before but saw a lot of mixed opinions

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it. It’s a 4 bulb fixture, do you a recommendation on which bulbs to buy? I was trying to research before but saw a lot of mixed opinions
2 B+ 2C+ would be my choice.
Check my build thread I ran that combo for a year before going to Halides.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for a "black box" 165 W LED fixture. There are a number of brands, all very similar. Your choice is whether or not you want it to have the timers included or controlled by some timing device you have.

The first one that comes to mind, that includes timers, is Viparspectra....HERE's an example from eBay. One would be enough for a 40B, and you'd be able to grow anything.

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you could keep a mixed reef with those lights good for lps and softies.
This was my worry with the black boxes. I’ve heard they’re good for lps but I don’t want to spend 150 on a led and then find SPS won’t thrive under them in the future. Sounds like T5 it is, even though I do like the dimmable led feature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for a "black box" 165 W LED fixture. There are a number of brands, all very similar. Your choice is whether or not you want it to have the timers included or controlled by some timing device you have.

The first one that comes to mind, that includes timers, is Viparspectra....HERE's an example from eBay. One would be enough for a 40B, and you'd be able to grow anything.
Ok I saw the viparspectra on Amazon. Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I saw the currentusa I mentioned originally Is 75w I believe. Does this mean it is less PAR then the 165w, hence the currentusa would not be suitable for SPS?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the par rating for the currentusa ic pro. They aren’t enough for sps or anemone.

Attachments

• 3DBCCAAC-7EA2-472B-B8B4-FD95009BEDB3.png
    3DBCCAAC-7EA2-472B-B8B4-FD95009BEDB3.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 65

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I saw the viparspectra on Amazon. Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I saw the currentusa I mentioned originally Is 75w I believe. Does this mean it is less PAR then the 165w, hence the currentusa would not be suitable for SPS?

Simply put, yes. More watts equals more light. The 165W models can easily grow softies, LPS, SPS, Clams, everything. It's what I'm running on my tank.

OP
OP
K

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put, yes. More watts equals more light. The 165W models can easily grow softies, LPS, SPS, Clams, everything. It's what I'm running on my tank.
Ok great so there’s a decision to be made now. Thanks everyone!

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you could keep a mixed reef with those lights good for lps and softies.

Incorrect.

It can definitely grow SPS.

At 100% blue and 100% white i got

800+ PAR at the top.

Middle of tank 350+

Bottom of tank 200+

i was extremely surprised.

I will upload that video in the future to youtube.

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be cooking stuff in my 40B with a viparspectra 165 at 1%. :shrug: I suspect it will grow everything.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 109 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 120 47.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.2%
Back