OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thought that I would show how I like to make columns of live rock that wont fall apart or fall over. I first make a base made of pvc which you can see in the pics. It works out great for attaching the live rock to. I then use the cheap plastic zip tie straps and find or drill a hole in each piece of rock and tie it up to the pvc pipe. stack each rock up tying them up as I go and it makes a perfect column that I can then place frags on at all different levels. Instead of being a wall or rock it really adds to the character of your rock work.
Jeff

column.jpg

building rock.jpg

completed rock.jpg

Last edited:

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought that I would show how I like to make columns of live rock that wont fall apart or fall over. I first make a base made of pvc which you can see in the pics. It works our great for attaching the live rock to. I then use the cheap plastic zip tie straps and find or drill a hole in each piece of rock and tie it up to the pvc pipe. stack each rock up tying them up as I go and it makes a perfect column that I can then place frags on at all different levels. Instead of being a wall or rock it really adds to the character of your rock work.
Jeff

column.jpg

building rock.jpg

completed rock.jpg
There's an idea I will steal!

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you like it. Just make sure the zip ties are the cheap ones that have the plastic locking tab. The better ones will have a metal tab which of course you dont want to put into your tank.
Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the look of black painted back glass. I think it really adds depth to the looks of a tank. Just used a gloss black krylon paint. I had about 180 gallons of water made up for the fill. I was able to finish the fill with the 55 gallon fish holding tank water.
Jeff

IMG_20180528_154837.jpg

IMG_20180528_204455.jpg

IMG_20180601_151225.jpg

IMG_20180601_195701.jpg

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was able to re purpose all of my lighting and filtration that I had on my 180 gallon tank. My tank water runs through the wall into a 75 gallon sump that is in a small room behind the tank. I got the 75 gallon tank off a local forum for free and picked up the skimmer for only $200. Picked up a killer red dragon pump used for only $100. I use a mrc calcium reactor that I picked up used and converted a geo media reactor into a sulfur reactor I use to control my nitrates. Almost all my equipment I bought used or built and have slowly added over the years. I would have to say the 2 best items that I have added over the years are a simple ato and my ca reactor. Helped control the tanks stability the best of anything I have done for the tank.
Jeff

sump.jpg

sumproom1.jpg

controlpanel.jpg

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have u had the jebao doser?

Is it working well?

I am customizing a dp3 in my 93 build. Was just wondering.

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have u had the jebao doser?

Is it working well?

I am customizing a dp3 in my 93 build. Was just wondering.

I have been using it several years I would guess. I am currently using it for 2 things. I dose acro power and lanthanum chloride to keep my phosphates in check. One of the pump heads quit working but the doser comes with a spare doser head. Its been a great cheap piece of equipment.
Jeff

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it several years I would guess. I am currently using it for 2 things. I dose acro power and lanthanum chloride to keep my phosphates in check. One of the pump heads quit working but the doser comes with a spare doser head. Its been a great cheap piece of equipment.
Jeff
Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well 2 years after my initial build I thought that I would update some pictures of my tank and coral in the main display. Many of my corals have grown pretty large over the last 2 years. Most of my new corals have gone into my new frag system(pictures coming) I need to move some frags from the frag tank into this one to allow them to really grow out..
Jeff
tank.jpg
tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
everything looks good. How is growth been for in your SPS?

Any specific trace elements dosing, how often are you doing water changes and what %?

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I dont do anything other then water changes. I have a calcium reactor that I feel not only adds calcium, magnesium and alkalinity I feel it also might add some trace elements that are in the reactor media. As for water changes I am not as disciplined as I should. Might change out 30 gallons of water maybe twice a month. Lately been fighting with phosphates. I thought that It might be coming from my ca reactor media, (video on reborn media by brs). After a week of different media my phos are still going up so has to be coming from my food and fish.
I have also since added a 100 gallon frag tank to this system and been selling corals from it. I need to post up some pictures of that tank.
Jeff

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually I dont do anything other then water changes. I have a calcium reactor that I feel not only adds calcium, magnesium and alkalinity I feel it also might add some trace elements that are in the reactor media. As for water changes I am not as disciplined as I should. Might change out 30 gallons of water maybe twice a month. Lately been fighting with phosphates. I thought that It might be coming from my ca reactor media, (video on reborn media by brs). After a week of different media my phos are still going up so has to be coming from my food and fish.
I have also since added a 100 gallon frag tank to this system and been selling corals from it. I need to post up some pictures of that tank.
Jeff

Thanks for the update, that is very similar to what I do. I do a 40g water change a week but my total system makeup is 450g so less then 10% a week.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff
Your new calcium media might be better than your old but as rocks absorb phosphate, your surplus's might be due to leeching from residual phosphate in your rock. Keep lowering it but watch that you don't end up bottoming out phosphate when the rocks finally reach equilibrium with the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back