Budget Nem Tank

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an established 75 gallon mixed reef tank that's been up around 2 years. My biggest problems have been my BTAs wandering around (especially when I'm out of town) and my overly-aggressive female percula clown. I told my wife I was just going to trade them in for something else. Well she loves those fish and nems (Pay attention folks with lame wives...) and she said I couldn't get rid of them. So I simply suggested they need their own tank. She responded with "what are you waiting for?" So down to the LFS I went!

I had been researching a little into nem tanks and was considering an AIO, but did the math and wasn't feeling the higher price point. I decided to use some stuff I had laying around and was able to piece together a pretty sweet little tank without buying too much.

Petco was having their $1/gallon sale so that was a no brainer. Got a 20 gallon tall from them and painted the bottom black since Im going to run bare bottom. (Im considering painting the back black too) I picked up a used stand, a new HOB filter and heater from my LFS, and a current usa orbit pro and loop pump I had from an old tank along with some dry rock leftover from an old build. All in all I spent like $100 and have everything to get this party started. Ill probably pick up an ATO in the future.

Here is the setup with no water in it. What do you think of my aquascape? Also if anyone has any suggestions for tankmates/CUC that wont jump out the top let me know!
20190722_150759.jpeg
20190722_151353.jpeg
1563831761998.jpeg

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get a little sponge to go around the powerhead and a prefilter for the HOB. They do like to wander after all!

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an established 75 gallon mixed reef tank that's been up around 2 years. My biggest problems have been my BTAs wandering around (especially when I'm out of town) and my overly-aggressive female percula clown. I told my wife I was just going to trade them in for something else. Well she loves those fish and nems (Pay attention folks with lame wives...) and she said I couldn't get rid of them. So I simply suggested they need their own tank. She responded with "what are you waiting for?" So down to the LFS I went!

I had been researching a little into nem tanks and was considering an AIO, but did the math and wasn't feeling the higher price point. I decided to use some stuff I had laying around and was able to piece together a pretty sweet little tank without buying too much.

Petco was having their $1/gallon sale so that was a no brainer. Got a 20 gallon tall from them and painted the bottom black since Im going to run bare bottom. (Im considering painting the back black too) I picked up a used stand, a new HOB filter and heater from my LFS, and a current usa orbit pro and loop pump I had from an old tank along with some dry rock leftover from an old build. All in all I spent like $100 and have everything to get this party started. Ill probably pick up an ATO in the future.

Here is the setup with no water in it. What do you think of my aquascape? Also if anyone has any suggestions for tankmates/CUC that wont jump out the top let me know!
20190722_150759.jpeg
20190722_151353.jpeg
1563831761998.jpeg

Exposed heater in a nem tank?

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about a clown jumping out than your clean up crew.
They have been fine in my 75 with no top, they never leave their nems, but I could do a screen top to be safe.
Maybe get a little sponge to go around the powerhead and a prefilter for the HOB. They do like to wander after all!
Yes, I have that stuff! It will be installed for sure.
Exposed heater in a nem tank?
Is that a no-no? Should I use one with a plastic cover like Fluval or Cobalt?

Thanks for the input everyone. I've never done a small tank or an anemone only tank before. I just love the way they look. I put a black background added water to the tank today. Half tank water from my 75 and half NSW. I'm going out of town next week, so I am waiting until I get back to add livestock

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones generally do not do well in new tanks, especially with new dry rock. If your taking rock from your other tank it should be ok otherwise give your new tank to mature.
I have never had an issue with anemones and bare heaters iny tanks.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones generally do not do well in new tanks, especially with new dry rock. If your taking rock from your other tank it should be ok otherwise give your new tank to mature.
I have never had an issue with anemones and bare heaters iny tanks.
Thanks for the advice. I will probably add a piece of rock from my 75. I do have vermatid snails and was hoping to avoid transferring them to the new tank. Looks like a good crushing session is in order.

I did end up ordering a fluval 100 e heater. They have a plastic cover and amazon had them half off for like $24. Better safe than sorry. I'll just use the bare heater for my QT.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back