Budget skimming a 100g?

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely new to the larger tanks, and am going to piece together a 100 gallon setup. Already have the tank, and lights, now I need to figure out how Im going to filter it. I plan to make my own stand, and I have two 20 gallon breeders laying around so if it would be possible to use those it would be nice. Ideally I would like to get it up and running on a strict budget, and upgrade parts down the road. So what should I keep my eyes open for as far as a used skimmer, and how could I plumb it with a couple 20g breeders?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank drilled with an overflow or do you need to purchase/DIY one? That and a return pump are the first steps to getting water from the display to the sump/refugium and back to the display. You shouldbe able to find a good skimmer reasonably prices somewhere like Craigslist, ebay or on any of the reef forums classifieds sections. I see Octopus, ASM and Turboflotor skimmers all the time for less than $100 complete with the needlewheel pump or venturi.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 100 gallon reef and i am running a Aqua Remora hob skimmer with a mag 5 pump and it has worked great for many years now.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back