Buffer RO/DI ATO top off water??

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS said I should buffer my RO/DI water to help keep my PH and Alk levels up. I haven't been doing this and do weekly water changes on my E260, (with sump kit 81g total) of 5g using Red Sea Coral Pro. My PH has always been at 8.0 and have just recently boosted dosing of my Aquaforest to 160ml a day, (Ca 430, Alk at 7.8Dkh and Mag at 1325), to try and get levels up. I have a mixed SPS/LPS tank with a big Maxima, (6" long).
Should I buffer my RO/DI?? Thanks!!

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you buffer with and how? I’m having issues with low ph and would like to fix it.
Its called balance by aquavitro. I add it to my ato water. There are several buffers out there just find one you can get easily and put it in your ato.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH of 8 is fine, I would not buffer, many beautiful tanks run at 8. If you really want to boost pH, dose some kalkwasser, you can simply add it to your top off water, start at 0.5 tsp/gal and go up slowly as you please but not beyond 2 tsp/gal. This is def what you should do IMO over some buffer product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's back up.

There is never, ever, any "need" to boost the pH of RO/DI water. It's pH is irrelevant to the aquarium, and notably, totally pure RO/DI water at pH 7 added to reef aquarium water at pH 8.1 will RAISE the pH of the aquarium, not lower it.

It is OK to choose to deliver needed alkalinity (or other additive) via the top off water,. That decision should be determined solely by the tank need for that additive, not by any need to alter the top off water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back