Build a DIY auto filter (Rollermat) for $60!

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like one. Who is doing custom builds
Dreambox is :) but this is a good project to get your feet wet with acrylic building, as watertight joints are not required. I suppose you could contract anyone who works in acrylic to build one, but it would probably be expensive.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep..so let me ask.. I am pretty handy... I will search some site for dyi acrylic.. but of course would take some recommendations.. thanks again

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep..so let me ask.. I am pretty handy... I will search some site for dyi acrylic.. but of course would take some recommendations.. thanks again
I have a fair bit of acrylic lying around, what size sump were you planning on putting it on?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is above in family room.. sump is a 48 by 24 by 24 that sits on top of a 300 gallon horse feed. the system returns are two iwaki 100rlt...
so a lot of flow. was thinking i might have to do two... the sump has three compartments.. 15 by 24. so basically its a rectagle with three smaller rectangles inside it..

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attached pic

tank and sump.jpg

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is above in family room.. sump is a 48 by 24 by 24 that sits on top of a 300 gallon horse feed. the system returns are two iwaki 100rlt...
so a lot of flow. was thinking i might have to do two... the sump has three compartments.. 15 by 24. so basically its a rectagle with three smaller rectangles inside it..
that is a lot of flow... I'm not sure I get what is going on with the sump- got any more pictures?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water comes from above where the tank is.. it flows into the acrylic box you see above.. it has three holes on the bottom where the water then flows into the 300 gallon grey sump.. (this use to be a remote DSB) and used to grow out frags and prison cell for fish that cant behave.. so I am looking to remove or modify the acrylic box to accomadate a large Roller mat. Right now I hang filter socks from the pvc coming out of the bottom of the Acrlyic.. see here.. updated version

current sump 8 16 17.png

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water comes from above where the tank is.. it flows into the acrylic box you see above.. it has three holes on the bottom where the water then flows into the 300 gallon grey sump.. (this use to be a remote DSB) and used to grow out frags and prison cell for fish that cant behave.. so I am looking to remove or modify the acrylic box to accomadate a large Roller mat. Right now I hang filter socks from the pvc coming out of the bottom of the Acrlyic.. see here.. updated version

current sump 8 16 17.png
are those 7'' filter socks or larger- I feel like my setup can handle about 2 7'' filter socks worth of water, and it is only 10'' wide, so one roll filter of wider width might be sufficient. is the sump euro braced or is it just strait sided?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those or seven inch filter socks. only use the two on the right... one on left is an overflow emergency.. never been used really.. there really is a lot of flow.. I think according to the specks I;m doing 2500 gallons an hour. (each 100rlt I figure is pushing at least 20 gallons per per minuet. the acrlyc sump is NOT braced. but you can see the black outlines of the black acrylic dividers that go from front to back and on all around on the bottom and top. was used in old days for a fish store.. held three chambers of bio balls back in the day..

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those or seven inch filter socks. only use the two on the right... one on left is an overflow emergency.. never been used really.. there really is a lot of flow.. I think according to the specks I;m doing 2500 gallons an hour. (each 100rlt I figure is pushing at least 20 gallons per per minuet. the acrlyc sump is NOT braced. but you can see the black outlines of the black acrylic dividers that go from front to back and on all around on the bottom and top. was used in old days for a fish store.. held three chambers of bio balls back in the day..
Well if you are interested, I would consider building you a custom one with acrylic I already have. There would probably have to be some DIY on your part, but I could get you most of the way. Let me know, and if that is a direction you would like to go I can ask you a few more questions and think about a design that would work for you

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
project is underway.. update.. fed ex dropped box and destroyed units.. puzzle time and putting back together.. will post pics in coming weeks...

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Adding some braces and supports due to fed ex drop ship. Literally. Will post some pics. It’s looking good.

Jwey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone else using this roller mat system?

How has this helped with parameters?

I am looking into building one of these but want to make sure it’s worth it.
I have about 1000 GPH and need to find out how to make this bigger to handle the flow.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Starting to cut acrylic this week and make the modification.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started gluing pieces back together after Fed ex dropped at my door step. FYI make sure to insure or your stuck at 100 flat payment. anyways.. glued back together. Calling this thing Frankenstein's Matt

Sump Mod to add Roller Matt.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back