Building a glass aquarium DIY.

  • Thread starter Thread starter iReefer12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iReefer12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
1,018
Reaction score
877
Location
Boulder, CO
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought the black frames to make a custom sized glass aquarium.

having the glass cut at a local shop, but I have one question.

What finish should I have them put on the edges that will silicone together? Can they be rough? Or do they need to be finished and smooth?
 
I bought the black frames to make a custom sized glass aquarium.

having the glass cut at a local shop, but I have one question.

What finish should I have them put on the edges that will silicone together? Can they be rough? Or do they need to be finished and smooth?
Smooth.
 
I used to work for a glass company and the edge of glass is the weakest point. A polished edge actually makes the glass stronger. A polished edge for any aquarium should be standard. Do yourself a favor and opt for the polished edges. Every time you look at your aquarium, you will be happy you did.
The above quote was taken from this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-aquarium-worth-the-extra-price.729192/page-2
Generally speaking, you want the glass edges to be polished smooth (or, if you're doing the glass yourself and can't polish them, sanded smooth) both for the aesthetics, safety (no sharp edges), and for strength (as mentioned above).
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new