Building a new 400 gallon. Have lighting questions?

GradyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that last 4 months I have been building a new reef tank. The dimensions are 8 ft long, 3 ft deep, and 31 inches front to back. Because of the size, figuring out the lighting has been crazy. I already own radion xr30 pros on my current tank, I love them and have decided to use again. So my question is? I have decided to add some t5 ballasts to the new build. I was thinking 2 of the 4 bulb ati 36 inch ballasts up the middle, and on front and back of tank I will be running a total of 6 radion xr30 pros. 3 front 3 back.
Xr30 Xr30 Xr30
ATI 36 ATI 36
Xr30 Xr30 Xr30
Now my question is should I go with dimmable or non dimmable for the ATI ballasts? I think non dimming because I have the radions for the ramping up and down periods. What are your guys thoughts??? I do like the fact that the dimmable have fans that are controlled by temperature. But I also hear lots of failure in those. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always add fans in the canopy for heat, I'd go with the straight non dimmable units.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for non dimmable.

Use the LED for the ramping, and just have the t5 on/off for the mid day intensity.

Makes life easier, and slightly easier on the wallet.

Personally, I'm not home when the lights come on, so mine are not dimmable. Most times I'm not in the room when they go off either, so the ramping up and down isn't an option I really look at.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back