Building a new sump and have a few questions

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm building a sump for my 75g tank and switching from a canister. I'm doing a 20g long I got from petco for 25 bucks today as the sump. Planning on a eshopps pf-800 hob overflow, aquamaxx AF-1 filter roller. What would you suggest for the return pump and heaters? I was thinking 2- 150w eheim Jager heaters linked to my inkbird controller. Would you do this or just one 300w heater? I know people will say drill the tank and all that but not drilling this tank as it's already a functioning tank and...yea just not drilling this one. Plan is to have first chamber with the filter roller, second chamber will be a refugium with chaeto I'm growing and last chamber as the return. Thanks

20221224_142159.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectra M2 return pump and dual helio IM heaters which comes with a controller. They are small and bullet proof.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Eheim hobby pumps. Very reliable and low power consumption with very little heat transfer. Try to pick a pump that is just below the max water flow for your overflow. If you pick to low a flow the over flow can break siphon with trapped air bubbles.

2 heaters are safer than one.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice of heaters. I’d use 2 smaller ones (the 150’s). They are long so make sure they fit.

I would first look at eheim 1260’s (I think that’s the model) for a return pump. I would expect 10 plus years of reliable flow from it. Good luck. I think you’ll like the sump after you get all the bugs worked out.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice of heaters. I’d use 2 smaller ones (the 150’s). They are long so make sure they fit.

I would first look at eheim 1260’s (I think that’s the model) for a return pump. I would expect 10 plus years of reliable flow from it. Good luck. I think you’ll like the sump after you get all the bugs worked out.
Thanks, I'm going to take some measurements today to make sure they fit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back