Sump set up questions

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at purchasing this tank. The back is drilled for 2 returns in the corners and 2 drains in the middle. Any advice on how the two drains work? They look so high up on the tank. I am coming from the planted freshwater world and canister filters. Im used to the filters picking up some of the fish poop but it wouldn't be the case here or I couldn't imagine it. I feel I may be over thinking it, Im just used to seeing bottom drilled tanks.
The sump is not set up and I would be purchasing the bare tank. I appreciate any help.

IMG_0964.PNG IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0952.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They basically are just overflow. Same as most are set up it's just drilled at the top so there is more room for rock.
So when your approach a set up like this, is fish waste removed through the clean up crews and ultimately water changes? Decomposes, processed through beneficial bacteria into nitrates, then water change, etc.
It just seems that I don't see people manually removing fish waste on the saltwater side and none of it is being captured through the filter.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when your approach a set up like this, is fish waste removed through the clean up crews and ultimately water changes? Decomposes, processed through beneficial bacteria into nitrates, then water change, etc.
It just seems that I don't see people manually removing fish waste on the saltwater side and none of it is being captured through the filter.
Yep. It goes into sand and gets decomposed and ate by cuc.

Ed: the waste that is suspended will get sucked into the filters.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks also rely heavily on flow. Way more flow in a reef compared to planted tanks. Detritus gets suspended by flow and removed via overflow.

OP
OP
M

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks also rely heavily on flow. Way more flow in a reef compared to planted tanks. Detritus gets suspended by flow and removed via overflow.
I just figured with those being so high in the tank nothing would really be suspended high enough to get sucked in. But I guess those plastic overflows in the corners of tanks are pretty high too.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured with those being so high in the tank nothing would really be suspended high enough to get sucked in. But I guess those plastic overflows in the corners of tanks are pretty high too.
Some of those have a "system" that helps to pull from lower also. My 180 is like that....it kind of works. Basically as water enters the top of the over flow it "pulls" water through a weir set in the cover of the overflow at about 1/3 the tank height. The space between this cover and the overflow isnt very wide so really little is pulled. Maybe small particulate matter but nothing of substance.

Reef tanks thrive on flow and you would be surprised at what can be accomplished with proper use of that flow. It is as important as lighting and the water parameters themselves.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see about getting an over flow made that will align with those holes and get a lot more surface skimming.

Edit: that's a pretty clean setup. Nothing fancy but it's working. Are you looking at everything or just tank sump and stand?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see about getting an over flow made that will align with those holes and get a lot more surface skimming.

Edit: that's a pretty clean setup. Nothing fancy but it's working. Are you looking at everything or just tank sump and stand?
itll probably just have to stay like that. at least like that you have more space for rock.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Missed the quote. @randomfishdude

An overflow box in the center isn't going to take any rock space. It would probably have to be custom made but I would go with something like this. JMO but I like a surface skimmer.
Not my image.
box.jpg
Oh. I didn't realise that's what you were talking abt

OP
OP
M

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No sump offered unfortunately just tank and stand

OP
OP
M

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: Missed the quote. @randomfishdude

An overflow box in the center isn't going to take any rock space. It would probably have to be custom made but I would go with something like this. JMO but I like a surface skimmer.
Not my image.
box.jpg
Now what’s the point of this if I have a skimmer in the sump?
Or is it just because it’s a larger surface area to catch debris

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what’s the point of this if I have a skimmer in the sump?
Or is it just because it’s a larger surface area to catch debris
Surface skimmer just pull the oils and stuff from the surface of the water keeping it clear. And yes larger area to pull more instead of just the pipes.

OP
OP
M

Mojo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface skimmer just pull the oils and stuff from the surface of the water keeping it clear. And yes larger area to pull more instead of just the pipes.
Gotcha. Appreciate the help.

I have a 75 running with a black Indian Trigger. Just on a canister filter with lots of live rock and macro algae. Going well but I’m looking to upgrade size and to a sump. So just filling in the gaps of knowledge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back