Building a stand for a 180 Oceanic Bowfront

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a build for one of these, or any suggestions? Just need to make a cabinet, decent/nice quality for one of these, not sure if I stand to a preference of wood or metal.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done a bow front stand but have done plenty of round signs with wood and metal.... Depending on what tools you have acsess to would decide which way you wanna go obviously.... I would just frame it in with straight pieces and add a nice round top to cover it... Doors will be the only pita on a radius, using bender board with a nice laminate will make it simple and clean thou.....hmmmm if no one posts any pics I could draw it up for ya...;)

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done a bow front stand but have done plenty of round signs with wood and metal.... Depending on what tools you have acsess to would decide which way you wanna go obviously.... I would just frame it in with straight pieces and add a nice round top to cover it... Doors will be the only pita on a radius, using bender board with a nice laminate will make it simple and clean thou.....hmmmm if no one posts any pics I could draw it up for ya...;)

Have full access to a carpenter shop, but not a lot of metal working stuff. Tempted to just make top/bottom plates with radius out of 3/4 furniture ply, then 2x4's attached to the ply vertically oriented, then 2x4's as uprights. Thinking of skinning with either 1/8 or 1/4" mahogany ply, but depends what my buddy (ScubaJay, another project for him, lol) wants to stain it (ok, well, depending what his wife wants him to stain it. And yea, the doors are going to be a pain- I'm thinking if I use a template and router for making the radius on the ply, I could do the same and make a couple 'sandwhich' pieces of the ply, then use those to create the radius for the door and just have to figure out how to mount it.
Any thoughts on that? And yea man, if you are bored and feel like drawing it up, I won't complain one bit!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up going with wood, here's a diagram on how to build a stand that will hold up well with the weight, courtesy of RocketEngineer:
148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

Also, you might want to check out this build for a bow front where he kerfed the wood to make the cabinet bow to match the tank:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/56629-scott26s-90-gallon-wave-front-build.html

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure that George is going to talk all kinds of crap on this one. By the way tell the old greek that I miss him and to go reck his bike. Just make sure that you put a minimum of a 1/2" panel on the back to give it some shear strength.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back