Building a Sump... Follow along wont you?

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with petco's $1gallon sale going on i snagged up myself a 40B, as that is the most popular size for a dyi sump. It provides plenty of space for equipment and ample space for a in sump fudge.
Got home and quickly realized that while this is the ideal tank, and is the same width as my current tank, it will NOT fit inside the stand that I have.

Darn.

Like any good aquarium enthusiast I put it in a spare room for a undesired later project and ran back to petco, this time having took measurements and consulting with http://www.aquariumdimensions.com/ I knew that the absolute largest size that I could put under my tank and that petco sold, was a 29g. with the current equipment i have and the stuff that is on its way from BRS I felt that this would still be plenty big enough for what I want to do.

This is my first True attempt at building a sump, as you will see in the later pics I have a redneck engineered sump at the present I had to use when my trickle filter sprung a leak. I used an old 16g "snake" tank i had laying around as a quick fix to stop the leaking and still have filtration.

Hit up the Home Depo & my LFS and picked up :
  • Super glue - for "spot welding" the acrylic sheets in place to allow for the application of silicon, Dont have any one to help me out with this project so I'll use this in small amounts around the top corners just enough to hold the light sheets in place.
  • Silicon- I have a large tube but wanted extra in case i ran into unforeseen issues.
  • Acrylic sheets- 6 12x24
  • Acrylic cuter/scorer
  • eshops PF-XL Micron bag holder - I know I know they are square filter socks that only they make thus they are 13 a pop but I like them for what ever reason, I have the single bag currently running in my tank now and it works nicely, I swap it every couple of days.
So Im going to take my time doing this, my next step is to measure and draw out everything I want to do with with it and since I already have hard plumbing I will be connecting all of this to the current system and will change the plumbing as needed. I plan to have it completed and installed by this weekend. Pics to come in replys.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1470177668.252960.jpg

Current quick fix sump.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im thinking something like this, of course the dimensions would be different due to the 30in long tank. This is one design Im considering

sumpdesign1.PNG

But Im also considering having the refugium as a completely separate tank outside of the stand.
Haven't made up my mind at this time..

Last edited:

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read numerous times on these forums that acrylic swells in salt water, so make sure you don't cut those baffles too close or they may end up cracking the glass.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read numerous times on these forums that acrylic swells in salt water, so make sure you don't cut those baffles too close or they may end up cracking the glass.

This. If the fit is tight, it can crack the glass. The expansion is minimal though, so if there is an 1/8" on either side, you'll be good.

I will say that the tank isn't big enough for a fuge section. You will need to run a separate tank. If it is cool looking, you can make it into a second display. Some of the fuges I have seen look really cool.

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im thinking something like this, of course the dimensions would be different due to the 30in long tank. This is one design Im considering

sumpdesign1.PNG

But Im also considering having the refugium as a completely separate tank outside of the stand.
Haven't made up my mind at this time..
I have my sump baffles in the same order. Where you have the fuge can become a very versatile tank. I actually cleaned out my fuge and now I'm going to be using it as a mini frag tank. Also something I ran into with the baffles from the skimmer to the return is that when I switched skimmers I was limited to skimmers suited for 8" of water because my baffles were 8" tall. Just something to think about when considering baffle height.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point about the skimmer. I would make the baffle a little taller than you need currently. If you get a different skimmer in the future, you can always raise it up on a stand. You can't make the water any deeper....

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept that in mind that it could swell up, when I put the sheets in there to test it out, there is about 1/4'' on both sides, clearly thats a bit much but enough silicon should be able to compensate.

Good point on the skimmer baffles higher and such, I hadn't considered that... Glad I haven't cut anything and doing my research

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cut some vertical bracing strips to glue on the low water side of the baffle. That is the side the pressure is applied to from the water level being higher on the opposite side. I use them on the taller/wider kits. They make them super strong

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any disadvantages to putting a refug inside the sump? I mentioned today at the LFS that I was planing on building this sump and the employee kept going on and on that it shouldn't be in the sump in case I ever needed to turn off or clean the sump ect ect ect.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the sheer size would be impossible in a sump that small. I could see it if you were doing a DSB. It would be nice to be able to take it offline to change out the sand or something like that. Normally if there is room, people put them in the sump. But with that size sump, it wouldn't be big enough to be of much benefit.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I don't plan anything in my fudge other than a DSB and the current chato that is floating around in my sump. Maybe some marinepure blocks or balls but haven't decided yet. Think a 10 gallon tank would be big enough for a separate refuge?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you here Rev!

Based on the fact that this is only a 29 gallon and I have so much equipment I am not going to put a refuge inside this tank... but in a separate n tandem tank, if I implement one at all.
Maybe I'll finally install and start using that off brand 18w UV sterilizer I snagged at a yard sale for $10

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do some sort of fuge, or maybe buy/build an algae scrubber. Something to help with N and P. As far as size a fuge, the biggest size you can fit. There are varying thoughts on it, but in my eyes a fuge that keeps detritus from settling should be the goal.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over all picture for current plan... Considering adding a refug or biopellet reactor but the size and actual plan for that will have to consider different options and do some research.

TankPlumbing.jpg

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this build as I too soon plan to build a new sump with the 40B tank you first purchased.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I looked and looked and looked and considered rearranging my living room to use the 40g outside the cab, but it would sit directly on the floor and Under my tv, so unless i could find a good cover, I dont think it would be a good idea. If i could find a way to make it work Id totaly do it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back