Building a Sump

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the next couple of months, hope to have a 50G LowBoy, along with a 60G Display tank linked up to a sump, with the ability to add another LowBoy later. So playing around with sump ideas.

My first idea is the 60G cube as a refugium, which overflows into a 40G breeder sump, but the 60G cubes are a little difficult to find used right now. So will start with a 40G breeder, minus the refugium for the time being. Sump will be a very simple design, socks, skimmer, return, with a manifold for future additions off the return.

From what I have read, the 40G breeder might be too small, or on the edge of capacity for a possible 160G future demand. Any thoughts about this, anyone running a 40G breeder sump on 160G or more system? This makes me think that maybe a 50G or 55G would be a better place to build around.

Well just thinking out aloud, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, and if you have any cheap tanks laying around that could make a sump, in MidTN, let me know.

Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,agree 40 is very border line on 160, laying around mid tenn,"hey joe" @Joe Glass Cages , ;)thanks
once rolling start a build thread;):)

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe hear. How can I help? support each journey one at a time.

Thanks Joe for dropping in. Have a 55G I am going to use for a sump.

Had a great tour of your facility's couple of years ago. Always keep you guys in mind for tanks.

Bryn

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its rolling. Going to take an old 55G (48x12x20) that used to be a sump, and add a Triton Sump Kit from eBay. Already have the plans for an 8x2x40" stand. Like to build the sump, and let it cure while I'm building the stand. Get the stand in place and install the sump, let the sump settle in with some live rock, water, and ghost feed it. Going to add a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 skimmer I think. EDIT: Just bought a new Bubble Magus Curve 7 Elite $295.00 The Elite uses a newer Sicca PSK600 pinwheel pump, pulling nearly $35/year less power. Two years and the power saving alone will match the upgrade cost from the BM Curve 7, which was a good price at $240.00. Also have ordered LowBoys, same price to ship two as it was one, so went for it. If I have the space will make the other LowBoy a Coral QT tank, but hooked up to a different sump.

This will give me time to work on the DT, and LowBoy. Get them drilled and painted, and then add them to the system. Let the system run for a couple more weeks before adding any light. I'm expecting about three months before adding much in the way of Coral. Fish after a month, let it run 6 to 8 more weeks, then light it up, then coral.

These are my musings so far.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Joe for dropping in. Have a 55G I am going to use for a sump.

Had a great tour of your facility's couple of years ago. Always keep you guys in mind for tanks.

Bryn
That is fantastic. Would love for you to stop by again. we have done some many improvements. Loving it here!

Back