Building a tank?!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously considering building my own 45g (24x24x18) cube tank. A reefer friend sent me a couple of links. One to buy the proper glass & one with directions.
My question is, is it as easy as the building instructions show? Has anyone here on R2R ever built or witnessed one being built?
Please share your experience with me. I really NEED to upgrade but am on such a tight budget. Talk about a money saving way to go bigger!

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it's not cheaper to build your own tank. But I have built many tanks and sumps. It's very easy. The build itself takes a few minutes. The prep is where the time is spent.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it's not cheaper to build your own tank. But I have built many tanks and sumps. It's very easy. The build itself takes a few minutes. The prep is where the time is spent.

How is it not cheaper? A 45g rimless cost hundreds from most I've looked at before delivery! Where 5 pieces of glass, sealent, masking tape and a caulking gun total $150
Could you please be more specific in your findings? Thanks :)
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the glass that cheap, then go for it. Company's that make tanks get glass alot cheaper buying it in bulk, and when we try to piece it together it cost a bunch. Gotta use Starfire Glass also for the front and sides, not regular glass, as Starfire is alot clearer, and much better if your building your own.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've planned out a 125g tank, and the bottom piece alone is close to $150. Its not cheaper for me to build my own.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a 4' x 22" x 16" rimless frag tank (about 70g) and the glass cost $250. What would that cost from a commercial builder or a retail store? Glass Cages says $310 plus shipping. Retail is much more. I used 3/8" thick glass and didn't use starfire because I'm looking down into the tank, not through the glass. The local supplier cut it and the fit was 100% perfect. The build isn't hard, but experience helps. This is my 2nd build, the first was a 2' x 18" x 10" frag tank. I used 4 corner clamps at the top and 2 long clamps to squeeze the long sides into the short sides. I block the bottom with 6 small blocks of wood to keep the glass from moving further onto the bottom glass than I want.

scubaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO unless your using 3/4" thick glass or thicker, there is no need to do starfire/low iron glass. Empty, you can definitely tell the difference. Once you have water in the tank, there is very little difference with the thinner glass. Not worth the extra dime if you ask me.

Would you mind sharing the link to the build?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go for it and document it here at R2R! :D NO pressure!

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get a 50g (24"x24"x20") rimless starphire cube complete setup for $500 shipped (tank,stand,sump, plumbing, pumps, skimmer....)

unless you are doing it just to do it...... its cheaper to buy and have the warranty

Last edited:

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my own 40gal tank I had a 70 that cracked so I made it smaller and the hard part defiantly is the prep I spent days cleaning it

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back